- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
Threat on freedom can be only seen by taking off the wool of democracy over the eyes- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Rida has said that the threat on the freedom of the Maldivian people can be only seen by taking off the wool of democracy over the eyes.
Speaking at the weekly meeting of the Jumhooree Party, Abbas said that some people are worried when the threat on our freedom is mentioned. He said that these people do not see this imminent threat because their leaders are pulling the wool over their eyes.
Abbas said that our freedom is now not threatened through the use of weapons against us but through trade and business. He said that many of these have been already witnessed in other countries. He said that considering the state of Panama it can be said that the people of that country has freedom and elections are being held there too. He said that however the country cannot be ruled by other than people chosen by the American companies who snatched away the Panama Canal for years.
“If you look at Colombia, it is one of the richest countries in Latin America. But the people of that country are living in poverty. When the Americans were assured that there’s oil in Colombia according to what they saw on satellite pictures during 1950s their United Fruits company took over the lands in the claims of farming banana trees. But they took oil and the people of that country are now living in poverty. They take these lands through agreements with the government,” he said.
Abbas said that colonization and slavery of countries can occur using weapons too and Iraq is a perfect example.
Abbas said that the people of Maldives should be heedful of these methods of slavery and colonisation. He said that the Jumhooree Party has been making the people aware and opposing since long. He called out to the members of the party to be steadfast in following the leader of Jumhooree Party in opposing these threats on the freedom of the Maldivian people.