- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
Threat on freedom can be only seen by taking off the wool of democracy over the eyes- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Rida has said that the threat on the freedom of the Maldivian people can be only seen by taking off the wool of democracy over the eyes.
Speaking at the weekly meeting of the Jumhooree Party, Abbas said that some people are worried when the threat on our freedom is mentioned. He said that these people do not see this imminent threat because their leaders are pulling the wool over their eyes.
Abbas said that our freedom is now not threatened through the use of weapons against us but through trade and business. He said that many of these have been already witnessed in other countries. He said that considering the state of Panama it can be said that the people of that country has freedom and elections are being held there too. He said that however the country cannot be ruled by other than people chosen by the American companies who snatched away the Panama Canal for years.
“If you look at Colombia, it is one of the richest countries in Latin America. But the people of that country are living in poverty. When the Americans were assured that there’s oil in Colombia according to what they saw on satellite pictures during 1950s their United Fruits company took over the lands in the claims of farming banana trees. But they took oil and the people of that country are now living in poverty. They take these lands through agreements with the government,” he said.
Abbas said that colonization and slavery of countries can occur using weapons too and Iraq is a perfect example.
Abbas said that the people of Maldives should be heedful of these methods of slavery and colonisation. He said that the Jumhooree Party has been making the people aware and opposing since long. He called out to the members of the party to be steadfast in following the leader of Jumhooree Party in opposing these threats on the freedom of the Maldivian people.