- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
Rivals believe that MDP will win the Presidential Election- Nasheed
Presidential candidate of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP), former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the rival of his party believe that MDP will win the upcoming Presidential Election.
Former President Nasheed made this remark at the campaign rally held at G.Dh Thinadhoo harbor yesterday night. He said that the rival political parties believe that his will win the election and therefore are plotting to prevent him from partaking in the election.
“All political parties in the Maldives believe that we will win the 2013 Presidential Election. And that is why they are trying to destroy me to prevent me from partaking in the election,” he said.
Nasheed assured the member of his party that his name will be on the ballot papers of the election. He said that the people should not raise concern over it.
“My name will be among the Presidential candidates so no one should be worried about it. We will win it for sure,” he said.
Nasheed said that he hears people stating that the election will face a second round. He said that some people even question on who will be competing in the second round. Nasheed said that he is sure that he will win the election in the first round.
Nasheed said that MDP is treading upon the path of democracy. “In democracy, the candidate should inform the people on what he will do in service of the people when he is elected. My rivals are now focusing on for how many years they should imprison me,” he said.
Nasheed said that they can chain him or arrest him but he will not leave his work to establish democracy for the people.