- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
Nasheed did not take advantage of the opportunities he was given- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Riza has said that the former President Mohamed Nasheed was given enough opportunities to continue his campaign tour but he did not take advantage of those opportunities.
Abbas told Miadhu Daily that Nasheed could have sent his lawyer on his behalf to the court hearings until he returns back from his tour to the southern atolls.
“He is the former President so he should be clear on how to do it legally. But as usual he wanted to continue it unlawfully. So he challenged the judicial process and the courts of law. It is the result of his own doing that he saw today,” he said.
Abbas expressed his gratitude for Maldives Police Service for professionally carrying out the arrest of Nasheed under an arrest warrant issued by Hulhumale’ Court while he was at Faresmadhoda. He said that the Police proved their capability by this.
“If not the 2006 incident would have repeated in that island. However, nothing of that sort happened. The Police carried it out professionally and proved their capability” he said.
Abbas said that the allowances granted to Nasheed from the state budget can only be withheld with a court order. He said that however there are steps that can be taken regarding it.
“The Auditor General can audit how the state given allowance and salary is used. And the people can inform the relevant authorities their thoughts regarding this by writing. And those institutions responsible can investigate the issue and take necessary action,” he said.
Abbas said that Nasheed likes to go beyond the bounds of law and break them. He said that the government will not give any opportunity to break the law. He said that the government is steadfast to face these challenges.
Abbas said that although Nasheed is detained in Dhoonidhoo under a court warrant he will be treated with special attention and he will have all his right protected as he is a former President.