- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
- Govt Oversight Committee to decide on cabinet approval issue on 23 Dec
- President Yameen Ratifies Anti-Human Trafficking Bill
- Minister at the President’s Office Scheduled to Attend OIC Council of Foreign Ministers Session
- Baros Maldives celebrates its 40th anniversary
- It is a worry if authorities don’t take action against law breakers- Shameem
- Gasim proved his love for the nation in the Presidential election- Ameen
- Many challenges even after catching illegal expats- Immigration
- All basic items will be sold cheap if all due payments are settled- Adam Azim
- National Flag to be flown at half-mast following death of former President of South Africa
- Vice President praises Nelson Mandela as a model of leadership for equality and rights
- Several issues regarding the school system would be resolved in time for new academic year – Vice President
- “Nelson Mandela was a source of Unrivalled Inspiration for Recent Generations” – President Yameen
Nasheed did not take advantage of the opportunities he was given- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Riza has said that the former President Mohamed Nasheed was given enough opportunities to continue his campaign tour but he did not take advantage of those opportunities.
Abbas told Miadhu Daily that Nasheed could have sent his lawyer on his behalf to the court hearings until he returns back from his tour to the southern atolls.
“He is the former President so he should be clear on how to do it legally. But as usual he wanted to continue it unlawfully. So he challenged the judicial process and the courts of law. It is the result of his own doing that he saw today,” he said.
Abbas expressed his gratitude for Maldives Police Service for professionally carrying out the arrest of Nasheed under an arrest warrant issued by Hulhumale’ Court while he was at Faresmadhoda. He said that the Police proved their capability by this.
“If not the 2006 incident would have repeated in that island. However, nothing of that sort happened. The Police carried it out professionally and proved their capability” he said.
Abbas said that the allowances granted to Nasheed from the state budget can only be withheld with a court order. He said that however there are steps that can be taken regarding it.
“The Auditor General can audit how the state given allowance and salary is used. And the people can inform the relevant authorities their thoughts regarding this by writing. And those institutions responsible can investigate the issue and take necessary action,” he said.
Abbas said that Nasheed likes to go beyond the bounds of law and break them. He said that the government will not give any opportunity to break the law. He said that the government is steadfast to face these challenges.
Abbas said that although Nasheed is detained in Dhoonidhoo under a court warrant he will be treated with special attention and he will have all his right protected as he is a former President.