- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
- Govt Oversight Committee to decide on cabinet approval issue on 23 Dec
- President Yameen Ratifies Anti-Human Trafficking Bill
- Minister at the President’s Office Scheduled to Attend OIC Council of Foreign Ministers Session
- Baros Maldives celebrates its 40th anniversary
- It is a worry if authorities don’t take action against law breakers- Shameem
- Gasim proved his love for the nation in the Presidential election- Ameen
- Many challenges even after catching illegal expats- Immigration
- All basic items will be sold cheap if all due payments are settled- Adam Azim
- National Flag to be flown at half-mast following death of former President of South Africa
- Vice President praises Nelson Mandela as a model of leadership for equality and rights
- Several issues regarding the school system would be resolved in time for new academic year – Vice President
- “Nelson Mandela was a source of Unrivalled Inspiration for Recent Generations” – President Yameen
Govt will be granting loans to farmers soon- President
President Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan has said that the government will be soon granting loans to farmers soon. The President made this remark addressing the ceremony held at Miladhunmadulu Uthuruburee Funadhoo last night to mark the Farmer’s Day.
Speaking at the ceremony, the President said that the government is now working on the procedures to aid the farmers. He said that the government gives special importance to granting loans to the farmers.
President Dr Waheed said that the government already is granting light loans to assist farmers. He called on the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Economic Development to expedite the process of granting more loans to the farmers.
The President said that the government will give special focus to women in granting loans. He noted that women play a major role in farming and agriculture. He added that the development of farming therefore is a development of the affairs of women.
Dr. Waheed said that the fisheries industry have been the biggest industry of the Maldives for ages and the industry has been thriving with women playing a main role in it. He said that Maldivian women have always been benefiting the country economically.
Futhermore, the President said that the government attached great importance to assisting farmers in marketing their agricultural products, considering the island’s status as an agricultural island. He also assured that the government will continue its efforts in further facilitating farmers living in island communities.