- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
GMR cannot be thrown out and I cannot be imprisoned- Nasheed
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the GMR agreement cannot be annulled and he cannot be imprisoned.
Nasheed made this remark at his campaign rally held at Fuvahmulah. He said that he cannot be imprisoned over the charges raised against him by the Prosecutor General. Nasheed also said that GMR’s agreement cannot be annulled and they cannot be thrown out of the country. He did not go into the details on the GMR issue.
In view of the arrest of Criminal Court Chief Judge Abdullah Mohamed, Nasheed said that the arrest of a judge is not a trivial case but the one who perpetrates such an action should not be prosecuted on the Act related to the offense of not switching on the lights of a vehicle at night.
Nasheed said that he had to keep Chief Judge Abdullah Mohamed in detention when the then Chief of Police Ahmed Faseeh, Chief of Defence Force Moosa Ali Jaleel, Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Defence Force told him that the judge is a threat to national security.
“It was us not efficiently rectifying the judiciary that led to coup. I am not the least sad. It was something we were obliged to do. In reality our failure to do it efficiently led to this coup,” he said.
Noting that he accepts the report of the Commission of National Inquiry, Nasheed said that the power was transferred through a coup and Judge Abdullah came back from his detention in Girifushi as a celebrity.