- Message by Minister of Foreign Affairs on the occasion of the International Human Rights
- Quick steps will be taken to provide quality health care- Minister
- Gasim urges to allocate budget to train professional journalists
- Halal certificate issuing to be gazetted next week
- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
Former Presidents monthly allowance should not exceed MRF 50,000- Rozaina
Thulusdhoo MP Rozaina Adam has called not to pass a monthly allowance exceeding MRF 50,000 to the former Presidents.
Rozaina made the remark yesterday at the Peoples’ Majlis, speaking on the “Bill on Amendments to Former Presidents’ Immunity and Privileges Act (Act No. 9/2009) tabled by Riyaz Rasheed, MP for Vilufushi constituency.
“The period of the rule should not have to be a factor on which the allowance is based. If the President ruled for a long period than he would have taken privilege from the money of the people for a longer time. Therefore, I do not accept this difference in granting these privileges,” he said.
Rozaina said that the privileges and allowances are granted to former Presidents so that they can live with honour but however this is not witnessed from the former Presidents.
“Presidents who ruled for a long period have the opportunity to join the UN. Gayoom got this opportunity. However he did not use it. He still wants to run for Presidency,” she said.