- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
Countries concerned against death penalty are killing thousands of people- Islamic Minister
Minister of Islamic Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed has said that the countries raising concern against the implementation of the Islamic Shariah and implementing the death penalty upon murderers are killing thousands of innocent people, young and old, men and women using heavy artillery and weapons.
Shaheem noted that the death penalty is implemented in countries much developed than the Maldives and there should be no concerns against the implementation of the death penalty in Maldives while Maldives is a hundred percent Muslim nation.
“Qisas, the death penalty upon murderers is not only prescribed in the Qur’an but also is revealed in the Torah and Gospel,” he said.
He said that the implementation of the Shariah will ensure the wellbeing of all the people and the nation. He added that the benefits of it will not be upon the Muslims but also to non-Muslims alike.
Sheikh Shaheem said that the present problems faced by the country can only be resolved by the implementation of the Shariah rule in the Maldives.
“In the Islamic Shariah, Qisas is not restricted to death penalty. There are a lot of conditions that should be fulfilled before making the ruling. The verdict of the lower court should be validated by the upper courts. It should be asked whether the relatives opt to forgive the murderer. The blood money should be taken. So there are a lot of stages in implementing the penalty,” he said.
Sheikh Shaheem noted that many aspects of the Islamic Shariah are implemented in the Maldives and the ruling of Qisas should be implemented.
“I hope that the Peoples’ Majlis will amend the penal code. I hope that all Majlis members will cooperate fully in the process,” he said.