- Pest control operation in Dh. Kudahuvadhoo
- 2 apprehended and 1 being sought in relation to case of assault
- Police delegation returns from training with the FBI
- President Waheed reaffirms commitment to improve the standard of IGMH
- Police help rescue Snorkeler who went missing
- EU Ambassador pays farewell call on President Waheed
- President’s Office directs all govt offices to participate winners of national Quran competitions at official functions
- 23rd Session of the Human Rights Council concludes in Geneva
- JP congress to be held on July 10
- AK underscores the importance of more people joining to get economic freedom
- Home Ministry requests all to refrain from painting public areas in political colours
- Police begins eradicating graffiti from the walls of Male’ City
- Individual found dead in Bilehdhoo
Media should not be used for libel and slander- CJ
Chief Judge Ahmed Faiz Hussain has said that the media should not be used as a tool to spread libelous statements and slander against people.
Chief Judge Faiz made this remark at the special ceremony held to award certificates to journalists who participated in “Court House Coverage Training Program” conducted by Department of Judicial Administration.
Faiz noted that the Maldivian media have sadly been open to spread such slander and the freedom of media is being misused by some. He said that media should not be used to injure the reputation and damage personalities.
Faiz underscored the importance of balanced and objective when reporting news. He said that reports should be scrupulously checked for validation and rechecked before publishing them.
The Chief Judge said that some areas of the system in Maldives are sadly allow people to write whatever that comes to their minds. He said that then this is sent to an institution and to the media and when the media publishes it without verifying the report the agenda of the person who wrote it is fulfilled. And this ruin that the reputation of that person’s opponent, he said.
Faiz said that the media should pay attention to this and should take heed when publishing reports.