- Police begins eradicating graffiti from the walls of Male’ City
- Individual found dead in Bilehdhoo
- Special Operation held in M. Atoll Kolhufushi
- Police Museum opens to much fanfare
- President Waheed congratulates Iranian President
- Lack of landing space in Airport causes great losses- Gasim
- President attends Night Market
- Maldives anti-corruption body finds no misdeed in GMR deal: Reports
- Nazim’s case against Thasmeen is a machinated plot- Topi
- President assures to help continuously to get materials necessary to manage IGMH
- It is not clear why ACC suddenly changed their views- Abdullah Mohamed
- Marine equipment’s PVT LTD donated a night vision camera system to MNDF
- CDF Arts & Culture Exhibition launched and Addana magazine published
Nasheed gave his own statement instead of answering the questions of Police- MPS
Maldives Police Service has stated that the former President Mohamed Nasheed gave his own statement refusing to answer the questions asked by the Police yesterday at Police Headquarters in relation to an ongoing investigation.
According to a statement of the Maldives Police Service, Nasheed appeared at the Police Headquarters after a summon notice of the Police for the investigation of a case lodged against Nasheed for inciting violence against law enforcement official since 29 May 2012.
Police stated that it is suspected that the civil disorder and several physical attacks committed against police officers, and the damages to police vehicles and infrastructures are the outcome of the call by Nasheed to commit such offences. Thereby, Maldives Police Service has commenced an investigation and the summon notice was issued in furtherance of it, for Nasheed to appear on 02 August 2012 at 1000 hours. However, upon a request made by Nasheed, the time on the summon notice was delayed to 1400 hours on the same day.
Furthermore, the Police said that Nasheed told that he would answer the questions after listening to all the questions of the investigator. However, when the questions were presented Nasheed refused to answer and gave his own statement instead. He claimed that the Police did not clarify the exact crime he was accused of so he does not want to answer the questions of the Police.
Police stated that the investigator reiterated the criminal offence Nasheed is accused of and explained the clauses of the law in relation to the offence. But Nasheed still refused to answer and gave a printed copy of his own statement after discussing with his legal team.
Police stated that Nasheed signed the statement after making some amendments and left the Police Headquarters at about 17:30hrs.