- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
- Police seize narcotics, cash and alleged stolen items
- Turkish Aid to be used to reconstruct Police buildings damaged by fire
- ADB Director General for South Asia calls on the President
- UNFPA Country Director Meets the President
- Adhaalath calls to arrest all who partipated in the brutal murder of Dr. Afraasheem
- Nasheed will face the consequences during the election for mocking Islam- Gasim
- Azlif will be prosecuted following Humam’s confession- CP
- Yameen is Nasheed’s spokesperson- Thasmeen
- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
MDP accuses govt of trying to destabilise Maldives ahead of CoNI report
The opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has accused the government of trying to destablise the country ahead of the Commission of National Inquiry (CoNI)’s report.
MDP expresses grave concern over recent actions of the government, which have seen some senior members of the MDP, including Majlis members prosecuted for which MDP alleged are politically motivated charges. The MDP stated that they believe that this is a deliberate attempt by the government to destabilise the country ahead of the Commission of National Inquiry report into February’s transfer of power, which is due to be published on 30 August.
“The regime is pressing charges against MPs for Male’: Hamid Abdul Ghafoor – for obstructing police duty, MP Ibrahim Rasheed for obstructing police duty, assaulting police officers, threatening and creating unrest and MP, Imthiyaz Fahmy, for allegedly assaulting a police officer. Terrorism charges are also being pressed against Mohamed Rasheed, MP for Addu City and the Ahmed Mirzad, an elected Addu city councillor. Terrorism charges against these two individuals are being levied under allegations that they incited violence and arson attacks on public buildings and police stations on 8 February 2012 in Addu City. Furthermore, last month the Prosecutor General lodged a case at the criminal court against MP for Thoddu constituency and Deputy Leader of MDP’s Parliamentary Group, Ali Waheed, The charges against him are also for obstructing Police duty. All the MPs have denied the charges. The MDP believes all of the charges to be politically motivated,” MDP stated in a press release issued on their official website.
MDP stated that senior members of Dr. Waheed’s regime, including Home Minister Mohamed Jameel, have publicly stated that the regime will arrest President Nasheed and ensure he spends the rest of his life in jail.
“These statements have been made despite the fact that a trial has not taken place, and while the Minister himself has stated that the ‘judiciary seems to be operating in wanton… and needs to increase public confidence,” the opposition party stated.
“At a time when the people of the Maldives and the international community are also questioning the legitimacy and the impartiality of the government and the courts, it is concerning the governemtn is continuing to press politically motivated charges against pro democracy activists” said Hamid Abdul Ghafoor, MDP’s spokesperson for international affairs.
“We are committed to dialogue. We do not want anything to happen that would disrupt the talks. We urge the regime to refrain from anything that will provoke and incite violence ahead of the report” Ghafoor added.