- Message by Minister of Foreign Affairs on the occasion of the International Human Rights
- Quick steps will be taken to provide quality health care- Minister
- Gasim urges to allocate budget to train professional journalists
- Halal certificate issuing to be gazetted next week
- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
Maldives green constitution is our reply to UN- govt
The government has revealed that the “Green Constitution” of Maldives is the reply of the government to the recommendations of the UN Human Rights Committee (UNHRC).
In an interview to Miadhu Daily, Spokesperson of the government Abbas Adil Riza said that the government is very clear regarding a reply to the recommendations of the UNHRC although a group of people maybe in utter confusion. “Our reply will be to show the UN our ‘Green Constitution’,” he said.
Abbas said that current constitution of the Maldives which is known as the ‘Green Constitution’ is the governing law of the state which safeguards and guarantees the rights of the Maldivian people. He said that there are independent institutions established according to this constitution to investigate any violation of the rights of the people.
“Therefore, if a right of a person is violated then the constitution paves him the way to seek justice. The government will not accept the person to go beyond bounds and take another path other than this way which is stipulated in the constitution,” Abbas said.
When asked whether the country might face any complications if the government does not yield to the recommendations of the UN Human Rights Committee, Abbas said that UN will never take any measures against the government for not accepting to submit to any recommendation which is against the constitution of the state.
Abbas said that the role of the UN is to protect constitutional rule and to ensure that the countries govern in accordance to their respective constitutions. He said that the UN will only take action against states which oppose the constitution and break the law.
“UN would only take action against a state only after discussions with the relevant councils. And there are no issues in the government of President Dr. Mohamed Waheed which demands any action to be taken against the government,” he said.
Abbas said the observations of the UN Human Rights Council were based on the research of the human rights condition reports submitted by the former President Mohamed Nasheed’s regime. He said that Nasheed’s administration has lied and exaggerated many issues in order to achieve their political goals through a web of deceit.