- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
HRCM’s overdue report is a joke- MDP
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has strongly criticized the report of the Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) on the human rights abuses of February 6 and 7.
MDP spokesperson and Maafannu Uthuru constituency MP Imthiyaz Fahmy told Miadhu Daily that “HRCM’s long overdue report is a big joke.”
Imthiyaz said that the international organisations have assessed the events of the February 6 and 7 and have issued reports while the HRCM took nearly six months to complete their investigation and finally issue a report. He said that the capability of the commission members are questionable that it took such a long time for the commission to finally issue a report on the events when the investigation was based on events that happened in the Maldives and was witnessed by many people.
Moreover, Imthiyaz said that the HRCM does not fit to international standards and do not do enough work to protect human rights in the Maldives. He said that the UN also does not believe that HRCM is capable enough for such work.
Imthiyaz also said that the Amnesty International yesterday contacted him to ask why the Human Rights Commission only shared the report with others while the report was not shared with those whose rights were abused.
“See, the time they take to complete an investigation is just too long. It takes so long for them to investigate the issue of the use of pepper spray on President Nasheed when there are video evidences which clearly show it. This is strange and shocking. They take so long even to assure that it is Nasheed on the video. And it is only after 6 months they issued a report. And most of these reports are just a joke. And as usual this report is also nothing but a joke,” he said.
Imthiyaz said that the Maldivian people do not accept the credibility of such reports and when the human rights abuses in the country has increased to an alarming rate.