- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
HRCM’s overdue report is a joke- MDP
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has strongly criticized the report of the Human Rights Commission of Maldives (HRCM) on the human rights abuses of February 6 and 7.
MDP spokesperson and Maafannu Uthuru constituency MP Imthiyaz Fahmy told Miadhu Daily that “HRCM’s long overdue report is a big joke.”
Imthiyaz said that the international organisations have assessed the events of the February 6 and 7 and have issued reports while the HRCM took nearly six months to complete their investigation and finally issue a report. He said that the capability of the commission members are questionable that it took such a long time for the commission to finally issue a report on the events when the investigation was based on events that happened in the Maldives and was witnessed by many people.
Moreover, Imthiyaz said that the HRCM does not fit to international standards and do not do enough work to protect human rights in the Maldives. He said that the UN also does not believe that HRCM is capable enough for such work.
Imthiyaz also said that the Amnesty International yesterday contacted him to ask why the Human Rights Commission only shared the report with others while the report was not shared with those whose rights were abused.
“See, the time they take to complete an investigation is just too long. It takes so long for them to investigate the issue of the use of pepper spray on President Nasheed when there are video evidences which clearly show it. This is strange and shocking. They take so long even to assure that it is Nasheed on the video. And it is only after 6 months they issued a report. And most of these reports are just a joke. And as usual this report is also nothing but a joke,” he said.
Imthiyaz said that the Maldivian people do not accept the credibility of such reports and when the human rights abuses in the country has increased to an alarming rate.