- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
Govt reconsiders appointing VP as govt representative in party talks
The government has decided to reconsider the appointing of the Vice President Waheed Deen as the government’s representative in the Political Party Talks because of the Hulhumale’ protests of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) held against the Vice President.
Spokesperson of the government Abbas Adil Riza said that supporters of the MDP taunted the Vice President Thursday at Hulhumale’ during his visit to inaugurate a futsal field set up by the “Unity Through Futsal” project run by the Youth Ministry, State Trading Organisation (STO), Police, the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) and the Football Association of the Maldives (FAM).
He said that the government strictly condemns this act of the MDP. He added that the Futsal event is not a political event but MDP’s supporters from even Male’ went to Hulhumale’ just to taunt the Vice President.
Abbas noted that the protest was held under the banner of MDP. He said that the government does not accept this.
He said that this act shows that MDP is insincere in their agreement to cease its series of anti-governmental protests to offer co-operation in the Political Party Talks.
During the unrest at Hulhumaale’ the Police arrested eight people but released them except one.
Meanwhile, the Government welcomed MDP on having ceased its series of anti-governmental protests to offer co-operation in the Political Party Talks.