- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
Gasim calls for the resignation of Speaker Shahid
Jumhooree P Leader Gasim Ibrahim has called for the resignation of Speaker of the Peoples’ Majlis Abdulla Shahid.
Gasim Ibrahim strongly condemned the Speaker’s absence from the all party discussions with Vice President Waheedudeen yesterday with regard to the deadlock at the Majlis.
Speaking to media after the said meeting, Gasim Ibrahim said that Shahid’s absence from the discussion shows that the Speaker is not interested in ensuring that Majlis moves forward with its responsibilities.
Gasim said that the Jumhooree Party would not take part in any further talks on the subject. He also strongly criticized opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) for the way they acted in the meeting. He said that MDP’s representative’s talks were off the topic and outside the scope of the meeting.
However, he said that if the President requests to participate in a meeting Jumhooree Party would make a final decision after discussions within the party.
Apart from Gasim Ibrahim, the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) and Dhivehi Qaumee Party (DQP) also strongly criticized the Speaker.