- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
- Police seize narcotics, cash and alleged stolen items
- Turkish Aid to be used to reconstruct Police buildings damaged by fire
- ADB Director General for South Asia calls on the President
- UNFPA Country Director Meets the President
- Adhaalath calls to arrest all who partipated in the brutal murder of Dr. Afraasheem
- Nasheed will face the consequences during the election for mocking Islam- Gasim
- Azlif will be prosecuted following Humam’s confession- CP
- Yameen is Nasheed’s spokesperson- Thasmeen
- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
City Council and govt differs on whether to prohibit use of vehicles in the Day of Eid
The City Council and the Transport Authority have differed whether to prohibit the use of vehicles from evening 4:00 to night 12:00 on the day of Eid.
Transport Authority stated that the prohibition of the use of vehicles is not within the jurisdiction of the Male’ City Council. The transport authority also said that the Male’ City Council have no authority to fine those who violate the prohibition of the use of vehicles by the City Council.
According to Transport Authority the city council should seek the counsel of the authority before announcing a ban on the use of vehicles on a set time. They also said that the city council failed to discuss the matter with the transport authority and therefore people are not disallowed to use vehicles on the day of Eid.
In view of this, the City Council member Ahmed Hameed said that the council decided to prohibit the use of vehicles on the day of Eid under the legal authority granted to the council from the Local Council Act and at the request of many people. He accused the government is trying to politicize the issue.
Ahmed Hameed urged the Transport Authority to not politicize the issue and also expressed hopes that Maldives Police Service would give their full cooperation on this decision of the council.