- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
A nation should be built based on the public welfare of the country-VP
Vice President Mohamed Waheed Deen has said that the nation should be built not upon one’s own welfare but for the public welfare of the country.
Vice President Mohamed Waheed Deen made this remark at the official opening ceremony of the Hitachi Futsal Arena in Hulhumale, Thursday evening.
Speaking at the ceremony, the Vice President said that a nation needs to be built by creating a valuable younger generation. Speaking in this regard, the Vice President said that the development of the youth should not only be focused on the school system, but that sports too shape a person, and instill self-confidence.
The Vice President noted the importance given by the government to discussion and debate, saying that the President, ministers and other senior officials of the government were constantly working to create an environment for peaceful discussion.
Vice President also said that the “HITACHI Futsal Arena” is the first phase of the project “Unity Through Futsal” that is aimed at constructing seven futsal arenas. Highlighting the importance of youth for the development of a nation, he said that to boost the progress of the nation we need to build a valuable youth with patriotism. He also stressed that sports play a major role in character building and enhance self-confidence. “Therefore, this Futsal ground would be a precious one and those who play in this ground must display good manners and discipline in order to obtain good results from it”, said the Vice President.
Praising the active contribution of MNDF and Maldives Police Service in the construction of this arena within only two months period, the Vice President said that MNDF and Police personnel of this nation has proved that they are not only the security forces but also people who are attending to the needs of the citizens.