- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
State will not allow any foreign influences- VP
Vice President Mohamed Waheed Deen has said that the state will not allow any foreign influence on the Maldivian nation.
The Vice President said this in an interview t the VTV special coverage broadcasted in relation to the killing of Lance Corporal Adam Haleem of the Maldives Police Service, who was stabbed to death in the early hours of Monday morning.
Vice President Deen said that the government has the capability to face such challenges and these issues will be resolved soon.
“This is not democracy, this isn’t democracy at all,” he said. He condemned the attack and said that the killing of the Police Officer is an act of cowardliness. He said that crime has been increased in the society beyond bounds under the guise of democratic activities.
Vice President noted that those who incite crime and instigate the masses against the law enforcement agencies are criminals who are not aware of the reality of democracy. He said that he does not believe that actions can be deemed anything to do with democracy.
The Vice President said that a meeting of the Crime Prevention Committee established by President Dr. Mohamed Waheed will be held and the government will decide on how to tackle the issue of the increase in violence and also discussions will be held regarding bringing those responsible for the death of the late Lance Corporal to justice.
Vice President also criticized the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) for its ‘direct action’ protests held even during Ramadan for encouraging people to carry out attacks on the police.
The Vice President also extended his deepest condolences to the bereaved family, at this time of grief.