- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
Prominent lawyer stabbed to death
A renowned legal practitioner, Ahmed Najeeb of S.Hithadhoo Lady Moon, has been stabbed to death and was found dead at M. Masrooraa house.
Police media official said that the police got the report of the death of the 65 year old lawyer at 18:15 last night.
Maldives Police Service informed the media that Najeeb was found brutally stabbed to death in a room in the first floor of M. Masrooraa residence. According to the police, the body was thrown in a dustbin and there were several stab wounds on the body.
Police said that the investigation is underway and the police are still searching the crime scene for forensic evidence. A male and a female have been arrested in relation to the murder so far, said the Police.
The male arrested is a 29 year old who has a criminal history and is among those who were released under the “second chance program” of the former President Mohamed Nasheed’s administration. According to Police, the man arrested is M. Masrooraa residence’s Ahmed Murrath.
Police has not revealed the identity of the female who was arrested. According to reports the woman arrested is an 18 year old who is the girl friend of the main suspect Ahmed Murrath.
The Chief Justice Ahmed Faiz and Attorney General Aishath Azima raised concern regarding the murder of the prominent lawyer Najeeb. In addition to Chief Justice Faiz and AG Azima, many top politicians and the public met with the family of the deceased at the IGM Hospital and offered their condolences.