- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
People who long for freedom is the prerequisite to become a free nation – Nasheed
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the people who long for freedom is the prerequisite to become a free nation.
Former President made this remark in his statement on the occasion of the 47th Independence Day of the Maldives.
“The real secret reasoning that a free people shall not be doomed to slavery, is the noble fact that Islam welcomes the human values of forgiveness and benignancy in dealing with others,” he said. He added that “Therefore, only one prerequisite is required to become a free nation, that being, like these times, that our nation is blessed with a people who love and long for freedom.”
Nasheed said that he is proud to see our country among the list of independent nations of the world. He said that thereafter it is paramount that an independent sovereign country such as ours, should ensure the realities of all natures of freedom are protected, for the country’s generations to come.
Furthermore, the former President extended his greetings to the all the Maldivian people “ceaselessly striving to embrace, uphold and sustain the national independence of Maldives, understanding amongst her individuals and her human dignity as a united county.”