- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
Peace and calm can only be restored by bringing those who incite violence to justice- President
President Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik has said that peace and calm can only restored in Maldives by bringing the people who are responsible for the unprecedented scenes of violence, vandalism and arson to justice.
The President made this remark while condemning the stabbing and killing of Lance Corporal Adam Haleem while he was on duty in K. Atoll Kaashidhoo last night.
The President said that he has worked in many world countries including countries senior in democratic rule. He said that in none of these countries the people are not allowed to commit serious crimes in the name of democracy. He said that democracy is to rule by the law and to protect the rights of all people.
President Dr. Waheed said that attacking a Police officer on duty is not an attack on an individual person rather it is an attack on the state. He said that the government will not tolerate these crimes and he assured that those responsible for these cowardly acts will be brought to justice.
The President said that the Government will continue to work to restore peace and calm in the country, and secure the safety of the people.
President Dr.Waheed noted that the three powers of state are separated and therefore the increasing rate of crime cannot be curbed only by the President. He said that the judiciary and the Peoples’ Majlis should work together with the executive to curtail crime.
The President also stressed that the Broadcasting Commission should take responsibility of not taking any action against a media channel which has been instigating violence against the law enforcement agencies. He said that it is from democracy to take action against such media.