- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
Peace and calm can only be restored by bringing those who incite violence to justice- President
President Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik has said that peace and calm can only restored in Maldives by bringing the people who are responsible for the unprecedented scenes of violence, vandalism and arson to justice.
The President made this remark while condemning the stabbing and killing of Lance Corporal Adam Haleem while he was on duty in K. Atoll Kaashidhoo last night.
The President said that he has worked in many world countries including countries senior in democratic rule. He said that in none of these countries the people are not allowed to commit serious crimes in the name of democracy. He said that democracy is to rule by the law and to protect the rights of all people.
President Dr. Waheed said that attacking a Police officer on duty is not an attack on an individual person rather it is an attack on the state. He said that the government will not tolerate these crimes and he assured that those responsible for these cowardly acts will be brought to justice.
The President said that the Government will continue to work to restore peace and calm in the country, and secure the safety of the people.
President Dr.Waheed noted that the three powers of state are separated and therefore the increasing rate of crime cannot be curbed only by the President. He said that the judiciary and the Peoples’ Majlis should work together with the executive to curtail crime.
The President also stressed that the Broadcasting Commission should take responsibility of not taking any action against a media channel which has been instigating violence against the law enforcement agencies. He said that it is from democracy to take action against such media.