- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
None has the authority to call the people to oppose the tenets of Islam: Sheikh Imran
President of the Adhaalath Party, Sheikh Imran Abdullah has said that Maldives is a hundred percent Muslim nation and none has the authority to call the people to oppose the fundamental principles of Islam in the Maldives.
Sheikh Imran made this remark answering a question posed by Miadhu Daily at the Ramadan revival nights Form held last Friday. Sheikh Imran said that no one has the authority to call the people to oppose a tenet of Islam which is revealed in the Quran.
When asked whether Maldives should follow the call of the United Nation’s Human Rights Commission to not implement death penalty claiming that it is against the International Human Rights Conventions and treaties, Sheikh Shaheem said that they should call themselves follow their campaign for human rights.
“If they want us to obey them in these conventions then we could for example request the Queen of England to accept Islam. Why shouldn’t we? She was created by Allah. Allah gives her sustenance and has given her a long life. So why is that she chose another path other than the religion of Allah?”
Sheikh Imran said that the people of Maldives have remained as Muslims and to obstruct them from this is a violation of their freedom and independence. “We are upon our freedom. So whatever action is done to snatch this away from us will be deemed as an obstruction of our freedom and independence.”
Regarding the freedom to practice other religions in Maldives, Minister of Islamic Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Shaheem said that foreigners who belong to other religions have the freedom to practice their religion and the government would not harass them in any way.
Sheikh Shaheem said that the people of Maldives are Muslims and stipulating this in the constitution is to protect this right of the people.