- Sri Lanka and Maldives small biz to get better trade finance: IFC
- Action & Adventure at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort, Maldives
- FRS attends to storm surges at Villimaale
- Maldives repeats its calls to immediately end violence in Syria
- Health sector needs additional budget of MVR 270 million- Dr. Jamsheed
- PPM will join Nasheed when a forumula is invented to mix oil with water -Nihaan
- Only Gasim can save this nation- Ilham
- MDP wants an interim govt before election- Nasheed
- Villa college opens campus in Naifaru
- Surfing expeditions in the Maldives increase in popularity as the country showcases its wilder side
- Centara Ras Fushi Maldives open only 6 weeks and voted no. 1 resort in North Male Atoll
- All travelers should take necessary precautionary measures before setting on their journeys- Coast Guard
- MNDF renders assistance to a person trapped inside a room
None has the authority to call the people to oppose the tenets of Islam: Sheikh Imran
President of the Adhaalath Party, Sheikh Imran Abdullah has said that Maldives is a hundred percent Muslim nation and none has the authority to call the people to oppose the fundamental principles of Islam in the Maldives.
Sheikh Imran made this remark answering a question posed by Miadhu Daily at the Ramadan revival nights Form held last Friday. Sheikh Imran said that no one has the authority to call the people to oppose a tenet of Islam which is revealed in the Quran.
When asked whether Maldives should follow the call of the United Nation’s Human Rights Commission to not implement death penalty claiming that it is against the International Human Rights Conventions and treaties, Sheikh Shaheem said that they should call themselves follow their campaign for human rights.
“If they want us to obey them in these conventions then we could for example request the Queen of England to accept Islam. Why shouldn’t we? She was created by Allah. Allah gives her sustenance and has given her a long life. So why is that she chose another path other than the religion of Allah?”
Sheikh Imran said that the people of Maldives have remained as Muslims and to obstruct them from this is a violation of their freedom and independence. “We are upon our freedom. So whatever action is done to snatch this away from us will be deemed as an obstruction of our freedom and independence.”
Regarding the freedom to practice other religions in Maldives, Minister of Islamic Affairs Sheikh Mohamed Shaheem said that foreigners who belong to other religions have the freedom to practice their religion and the government would not harass them in any way.
Sheikh Shaheem said that the people of Maldives are Muslims and stipulating this in the constitution is to protect this right of the people.