- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
Nasheed destroyed the very democracy the people wanted- Thasmeen
Leader of Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP), Kendhoo constituency MP Ahmed Thasmeen Ali has said that the people of Maldives wanted and still wants a democracy but former President Mohamed Nasheed destroyed that democracy the people wanted.
Speaking at the DRP rally held Friday night at Ga. Villingili, Ahmed Thasmeen said that the nation was at crossroads in the 2008 Presidential Elections and the country again will be meeting the same situation in the next election. He said that the people wanted a modern democratic system and a leader who will rule the people democratically during his presidential term rather than a leader who wants to remain as such for all his life.
Thasmeen said that MDP won the elections and unjustly destroyed the democracy the people wanted.
“The government from whom the people hoped will improve their living standard and will develop the country did the mere opposite. Their rule was a challenge to the development of our nation,” he said.
Thasmeen said that DRP lost the 2008 elections because they were not well prepared.
“What I believe is that when we meet in the crossroads in 2013 we should move in the direction following the pulse of the people. We should move towards which ever lies the development and progress of this nation. We should move towards a happy and improved standard of living for the people,” he said.
In addition to this, Thasmeen said that DRP will cooperate with the government of President Dr. Mohamed Waheed. He said that there are many challenges that the government is facing because President Waheed ascended to presidency through system which was destroyed during the three year rule of Nasheed.