- Message by Minister of Foreign Affairs on the occasion of the International Human Rights
- Quick steps will be taken to provide quality health care- Minister
- Gasim urges to allocate budget to train professional journalists
- Halal certificate issuing to be gazetted next week
- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
Nasheed destroyed the very democracy the people wanted- Thasmeen
Leader of Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP), Kendhoo constituency MP Ahmed Thasmeen Ali has said that the people of Maldives wanted and still wants a democracy but former President Mohamed Nasheed destroyed that democracy the people wanted.
Speaking at the DRP rally held Friday night at Ga. Villingili, Ahmed Thasmeen said that the nation was at crossroads in the 2008 Presidential Elections and the country again will be meeting the same situation in the next election. He said that the people wanted a modern democratic system and a leader who will rule the people democratically during his presidential term rather than a leader who wants to remain as such for all his life.
Thasmeen said that MDP won the elections and unjustly destroyed the democracy the people wanted.
“The government from whom the people hoped will improve their living standard and will develop the country did the mere opposite. Their rule was a challenge to the development of our nation,” he said.
Thasmeen said that DRP lost the 2008 elections because they were not well prepared.
“What I believe is that when we meet in the crossroads in 2013 we should move in the direction following the pulse of the people. We should move towards which ever lies the development and progress of this nation. We should move towards a happy and improved standard of living for the people,” he said.
In addition to this, Thasmeen said that DRP will cooperate with the government of President Dr. Mohamed Waheed. He said that there are many challenges that the government is facing because President Waheed ascended to presidency through system which was destroyed during the three year rule of Nasheed.