- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
- Umar says he didn’t goto appeal committee because it’s under Yameen’s authority
- Nasheed won’t even succeed for the second round of elections- Gasim
- Recent assualts are gang related- CP
- Nasheed Launches MDP Policy on Agriculture
- Action & Adventure at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort, Maldives
- Police assist with flood relief in Ga.Villingilli
- 2 men arrested with suspicious narcotics
Murrath and Hana confesses at murder trial
The 29 year old Ahmed Murrath of M. Masroora and 18 year old Fathimath Hana of Shaviyani Atoll Goidhoo Rihaab detained for the killing of the 65 year old renowned legal practitioner, Ahmed Najeeb of S. Hithadhoo Lady Moon, have confessed to the murder at the court hearing held yesterday.
The hearing of both the suspects was held separately yesterday at the criminal court. Hana testified that she and Murrath called Najeeb on the night of 30 June 2013 and he came to M. Masrooraa at 10:00 that night at their invitation. She said that she did not kill the lawyer but she only helped Murrath to kill Najeeb. She also said that she believes that Najeeb was killed sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 during the night.
When asked why Najeeb was killed she said that Murrath got angry when he knew that Najeeb tried to sexually assault her and also because since Najeeb was a legal practitioner they believed that he would be having lots of money.
Hana said that after tying up Najeeb she slept and she could not wake up when Murrath called her after killing the lawyer because she was drunk. She said that she came to know that Najeeb was dead after sunrise.
She also said that Murrath withdrew some money from Najeeb’s account after getting the cash card and its pin code. She added that she did not touch any of that money.
During Murrath’s hearing, he said that he took MRF4000 twice. He said that the first amount he withdrew from the ATM near IGMH and the second from the ATM at the Sea Track building. When asked how he spent the money he said that he bought drugs, cigarettes and large dustbin to dump the body.
Murrath said that he did not first plan to kill Najeeb but he did it out of anger. And during the meeting with Najeeb regarding a case they were consulting with him he took some breaks and when he came back he found that Najeeb was eyeing Hana. And he said that he asked Hana about it and she told him that Najeeb tried to sexually assault her.
He said that he took a knife and threatened Najeeb after tying him up. Despite Hana’s testification that she tied Najeeb, Murrath said that Hana was not involved in tying him up or the killing. However, he said that Hana would know that he had murdered Najeeb.
He said that he stabbed Najeeb near sunrise and he attacked him out of anger when Najeeb started to shout. He added that he was intoxicated on drugs when he stabbed Najeeb. He said that he realized what he had done when Najeeb started bleeding. He said that he cried seeing it and tried to stop the blood by putting stockings and t-shirts.
Murrath said that he dumped the body in the large bin in the afternoon. Moments after dramatically confessing to the murder he apologized from the family. He also asked the Judge to expedite the case.