- Pest control operation in Dh. Kudahuvadhoo
- 2 apprehended and 1 being sought in relation to case of assault
- Police delegation returns from training with the FBI
- President Waheed reaffirms commitment to improve the standard of IGMH
- Police help rescue Snorkeler who went missing
- EU Ambassador pays farewell call on President Waheed
- President’s Office directs all govt offices to participate winners of national Quran competitions at official functions
- 23rd Session of the Human Rights Council concludes in Geneva
- JP congress to be held on July 10
- AK underscores the importance of more people joining to get economic freedom
- Home Ministry requests all to refrain from painting public areas in political colours
- Police begins eradicating graffiti from the walls of Male’ City
- Individual found dead in Bilehdhoo
MEMP signs MOU with Enhancing Climate Resiliency and Water Security Project
Maldives Environmental Management Project has signed an MOU with the Enhancing Climate Resiliency And Water Security Project (Maldives GCC) on 9th July 2012. The MOU, which concerns waste management activities on Lh Hinnavaru, was signed by Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Environment and Energy Mr Abdullahi Majeed on behalf of MEMP and by Mr John A. Dorr, Chief of Party, for Maldives GCC. The document was witnessed on behalf of USAID by Mr Adam Schmidt, Acting Mission Director.
The purpose of the MOU is to set out the terms and conditions that will ensure that design and construction of the island waste management centre (IWMC) on Lh Hinnavaru is carried out appropriately, and to assist the island community to plan and implement waste management activities effectively during and after the conclusion of the two projects.
Under the MOU, MEMP will be responsible for liaising with the community leaders and identifying the location and area of land allocated for the IWMC, share the results of the environmental management plan and the island waste management plan for Hinnavaru drawn up under MEMP, and provide technical advice to Maldives GCC to finalize the design and construction of the building to house the equipment at the IWMC, provide training to the community on waste management, purchase and install IWMC equipment and facilitate the handover of the IWMC facility.
Maldives GCC will consult with MEMP and EPA to finalize the design of the physical structure that will house the IWMC equipment, to assure compliance with all required standards, procure a contractor to construct the IWMC, carry out the needed liaison with island council representatives and provide procurement, construction and project management oversight during IWMC construction, work with MEMP to design and execute training programs and develop the capacity to operate or support the IWMC.