- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
MDP won’t be given the opportunity to create an inappropriate scenario- President
Govt condemns acts of violence carried out by opposition activists
President Dr Mohamed Waheed has said that the government will not give the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) to deceive the international community by trying to create an inappropriate scenario about the political climate in the country.
He made this remark Thursday evening officially opening the Social Centre in Huraa of Kaafu Atoll. Speaking at the ceremony, the President said that his administration was committed to continue working patiently, with the people, as one team.
In his speech, the President said that the government would stay steadfast in carrying out its duties and assured that the government would not step back.
President Waheed praised the unity among the people of Huraa, noting that the serenity, peace and the people’s satisfaction depended on the companionship and humanity within the community, and the sustenance of peace and harmony. The President further noted that we are one family bound together by one ethnic background, one religion, and one mother tongue.
President Waheed also highlighted the theme of this year’s World Population Day – Universal Access to Reproductive Health Services; which was marked yesterday. The President noted with admiration, the active participation of the women of Huraa, in organizing the ceremony, saying that it was an example of the women’s participation in society.
Meanwhile, government has Thursday condemned the acts of violence carried out by opposition activists conducted in the name of “direct and immediate action”.
Activists of the Maldives Democratic Party (MDP) lead by former President Nasheed have carried out a number of violent attacks and continue to harass government officials and members of law enforcement agencies.
11 July 2012 arson attack on the car of the Minister for Gender and Family follows the continued harassment of government officials. Similarly in the early hours of 12 July 2012, MDP activists torched a newly built police station in Noonu Atoll Holhudhoo. A number of journalists have been injured by activists, including a television presenter from private broadcaster DhiTV.
Speaking on Thursday, President Waheed said “the Government is working to restore peace and calm in the country, and secure the safety of the people. We will not tolerate these violent acts being carried out by the MDP. Those responsible for these cowardly acts will be brought to justice. We urge the leadership of the MDP to call an end to these violent acts being carried out by their activists and participate in resolving disagreements through the correct mechanisms.”