- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
MDP holds street protests against the govt
-Protestors and Police clash during protest
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has held street protests in the capital Male’ City last night.
During the protest, clashes took place between the angry protestors and the Police when the Police tried to arrest those who demonstrated violent behavior during the protest.
According to the police, arrests were made regarding the violent behavior demonstrated by some of the protestors who have disobeyed police on duty, tried to forcefully break down into police barricades disturbing police to perform their legal duties.
25 protesters were apprehended for the charge of forcefully broke down into police barricades, crossing the security zone and disobeying police on duty.
Among the arrests made yesterday included a journalist who has represented CNM. He was apprehended on the charge of disobeying and disturbing police to perform their legal duties. In addition, while representing a registered local media, he used offensive language to police and behaved unprofessionally and against the code of conduct of media.
Former President Mohamed Nasheed participated in the early hours of the protest but he left the protest after sometime. However, many MPs and top officials of the opposition MDP were seen at the front line of the party.
MP Imthiyaz Fahmy said that the protests will be held every night.