- Maldivian nation is calling for Gasim Ibrahim- AK
- President telephones Mohamed Falah who was rescued at sea
- Bangladeshi Planning Commission officials meet with Minister Shakeela
- President Sends a Message of Sympathy to the US President
- “Strengthening Low Carbon Energy Island Strategies” project discussion held
- Vote in the upcoming election is a vote that is related to slavery and freedom- Abdullah
- Maldivian adrift at sea rescued
- Turkish delegate addresses members of the Police in special forum
- Prime suspect in Afraasheem’s murder arrested
- People of Milandhoo protests against Nasheed at his arrival
- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
MDP does not seek authority- Nasheed
-Purging the MNDF and Police is an obligation upon the people
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP)’s presidential candidate, former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the MDP was not formed seeking authority but was established to work for democratic change.
Speaking at the MDP protests staged in the name of “direct and immediate action, former President Nasheed said that the MDP does not seek power and authority.
He said that the democratic system has been lost from the people and that democracy is going further and further away from the country every passing day.
Nasheed said that the democratic rule of the country is now put into murky waters with the coup brought on the legitimate government. He added that the governance has been changed from upside down by a power hungry people.
“Our government was slandered with lies and we were accused of being anti-islamic. And with these lies and with the help of the police and MNDP a coup was brought and our government was toppled. Law enforcement establishments cannot go against the government. They should fully obey the orders of the heads of the state. The Police and the MNDF is in need of much reform,” he said.
Nasheed said that the Police and the armed forces were purged and some of the officers were arrested during every change in the government prior to 2008. He said that when MDP came to power the government only changed two posts of both the institutions, that is the Chief of Defence Force and the Commissioner of Police.
Nasheed stressed that all officers involved in the coup will be arrested. He said that democracy cannot be restored in the country except by purging the two institutions. He said that purging the army and the police is now an obligation upon the people.