- Unlimited Aasandha services to be announced within hundred days- Ameen
- Dr. Mausoom says he joined Villa group to serve Gasim
- We will always be watchful of the Airport- National Movement
- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
MDP does not seek authority- Nasheed
-Purging the MNDF and Police is an obligation upon the people
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP)’s presidential candidate, former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that the MDP was not formed seeking authority but was established to work for democratic change.
Speaking at the MDP protests staged in the name of “direct and immediate action, former President Nasheed said that the MDP does not seek power and authority.
He said that the democratic system has been lost from the people and that democracy is going further and further away from the country every passing day.
Nasheed said that the democratic rule of the country is now put into murky waters with the coup brought on the legitimate government. He added that the governance has been changed from upside down by a power hungry people.
“Our government was slandered with lies and we were accused of being anti-islamic. And with these lies and with the help of the police and MNDP a coup was brought and our government was toppled. Law enforcement establishments cannot go against the government. They should fully obey the orders of the heads of the state. The Police and the MNDF is in need of much reform,” he said.
Nasheed said that the Police and the armed forces were purged and some of the officers were arrested during every change in the government prior to 2008. He said that when MDP came to power the government only changed two posts of both the institutions, that is the Chief of Defence Force and the Commissioner of Police.
Nasheed stressed that all officers involved in the coup will be arrested. He said that democracy cannot be restored in the country except by purging the two institutions. He said that purging the army and the police is now an obligation upon the people.