- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
Maldives Calls for Greater UN Resolve on Syrian Issue and the Recognition of Palestinian Statehood
Ambassador and Chargé d’Affaires of the Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Maldives to the United Nations, Ahmed Sareer, called on the Security Council of the UN to protect the full enjoyment of rights of the Palestinian people by supporting a free and independent Palestinian State.
Speaking at the Security Council’s open debate on the situation in the Middle East, Ambassador Sareer stated that without the recognition of the Palestinian statehood, meaningful dialogue concerning peace in the Middle East would not be possible. He said that through international recognition of Palestine as a sovereign State, Palestinians should be allowed to negotiate their own interests and concentrate on developing their own social and economic infrastructures, while being at peace with the State of Israel.
Continuing the debate, Ambassador Sareer condemned the atrocities being committed in Syria and called for an internationally-led remedy. He stated that the Syrian issue is one that is destabilizing the entire region and that the international community has an obligation to protect the people of Syria.
While applauding the efforts of the Joint Special Envoy of the UN and Arab League Mr. Kofi Annan, Ambassador Sareer expressed the hope that the UN Security Council could come up with an effective response to address the issue before the situation reaches out of bounds.