- All basic items will be sold cheap if all due payments are settled- Adam Azim
- National Flag to be flown at half-mast following death of former President of South Africa
- Vice President praises Nelson Mandela as a model of leadership for equality and rights
- Several issues regarding the school system would be resolved in time for new academic year – Vice President
- “Nelson Mandela was a source of Unrivalled Inspiration for Recent Generations” – President Yameen
- Mandela an example of democracy- Gasim
- With Yameen’s visit, ties with Maldives set to shine again
- Unlimited Aasandha services to be announced within hundred days- Ameen
- Dr. Mausoom says he joined Villa group to serve Gasim
- We will always be watchful of the Airport- National Movement
- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
Maldives Calls for Greater UN Resolve on Syrian Issue and the Recognition of Palestinian Statehood
Ambassador and Chargé d’Affaires of the Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Maldives to the United Nations, Ahmed Sareer, called on the Security Council of the UN to protect the full enjoyment of rights of the Palestinian people by supporting a free and independent Palestinian State.
Speaking at the Security Council’s open debate on the situation in the Middle East, Ambassador Sareer stated that without the recognition of the Palestinian statehood, meaningful dialogue concerning peace in the Middle East would not be possible. He said that through international recognition of Palestine as a sovereign State, Palestinians should be allowed to negotiate their own interests and concentrate on developing their own social and economic infrastructures, while being at peace with the State of Israel.
Continuing the debate, Ambassador Sareer condemned the atrocities being committed in Syria and called for an internationally-led remedy. He stated that the Syrian issue is one that is destabilizing the entire region and that the international community has an obligation to protect the people of Syria.
While applauding the efforts of the Joint Special Envoy of the UN and Arab League Mr. Kofi Annan, Ambassador Sareer expressed the hope that the UN Security Council could come up with an effective response to address the issue before the situation reaches out of bounds.