- Message by Minister of Foreign Affairs on the occasion of the International Human Rights
- Quick steps will be taken to provide quality health care- Minister
- Gasim urges to allocate budget to train professional journalists
- Halal certificate issuing to be gazetted next week
- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
No other country gives as much as freedom to those raising voice against the govt- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Riza has said that there is no other country which gives as much as freedom to those raising their voice against the government as Maldives.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Abbas said that there is nothing that the present administration of President Dr. Mohamed Waheed done to intimidate the media.
He said that today under the government of President Dr.Waheed no media is under the control of the government, and the freedom of expression is being fully observed in the Maldives.
“RaajjeTV slanders and spreads false information regarding the government however the security of that station is also maintained by the Police. Even if there might occur something that needs the Police in the area, the Police who are maintaining the security of the RaajjeTV will never abandon,” he said.
In view of the recent accusation of the former President Mohamed Nasheed that the government is intimidating the media, Press Secretary Abbas said that Nasheed is trying to deceive the people by mixing up raising the voice against the government and acts of terrorism.
“When a group of arsonists put fire in different state offices, the government will not hesitate to take action against such a group,” he said.
Abbas said that during Nasheed’s meeting with the Amnesty International his failure to recall any instances where the police and armed forces intimidated the media and those who oppose the government shows that this is a blatant lie.