- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
No other country gives as much as freedom to those raising voice against the govt- Abbas
Press Secretary Abbas Adil Riza has said that there is no other country which gives as much as freedom to those raising their voice against the government as Maldives.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Abbas said that there is nothing that the present administration of President Dr. Mohamed Waheed done to intimidate the media.
He said that today under the government of President Dr.Waheed no media is under the control of the government, and the freedom of expression is being fully observed in the Maldives.
“RaajjeTV slanders and spreads false information regarding the government however the security of that station is also maintained by the Police. Even if there might occur something that needs the Police in the area, the Police who are maintaining the security of the RaajjeTV will never abandon,” he said.
In view of the recent accusation of the former President Mohamed Nasheed that the government is intimidating the media, Press Secretary Abbas said that Nasheed is trying to deceive the people by mixing up raising the voice against the government and acts of terrorism.
“When a group of arsonists put fire in different state offices, the government will not hesitate to take action against such a group,” he said.
Abbas said that during Nasheed’s meeting with the Amnesty International his failure to recall any instances where the police and armed forces intimidated the media and those who oppose the government shows that this is a blatant lie.