- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
- Police seize narcotics, cash and alleged stolen items
- Turkish Aid to be used to reconstruct Police buildings damaged by fire
- ADB Director General for South Asia calls on the President
- UNFPA Country Director Meets the President
- Adhaalath calls to arrest all who partipated in the brutal murder of Dr. Afraasheem
- Nasheed will face the consequences during the election for mocking Islam- Gasim
- Azlif will be prosecuted following Humam’s confession- CP
- Yameen is Nasheed’s spokesperson- Thasmeen
- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
Nasheed ordered Police to abandon the protestors- CNI
The Commission of National Inquiry (CNI) has revealed that the order to withdraw the Police officers stationed at the artificial beach, cordoning a security line between the supporters of the Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) and the supporters of the coalition of then opposition parties, was given by former President Mohamed Nasheed.
According to the timeline of events that took place from January 16 to February 7, issued by the CNI to find the public opinion, the Police Commissioner Ahmed Faseeh refused to withdraw the Police from the site stating that the situation could get worse.
According to the timeline released by the commission the commissioner drafted a letter of resignation on his table because he did not believe that it is correct to withdraw the Police from the area given the worsening situation.
The report also stated that the Special Operations (SO) officers stationed themselves at the area to prevent any violence if the two groups of protestors were to clash. It is also said that the SO officer leading the unit refused to comply with the orders to withdraw his unit from the area claiming that the protestors carried rods and wooden planks that can be used for violence.
The commission’s publication also revealed that the SO unit stationed at the area were also ordered by a one of the SO Deputy Commissioner to remove the TV cables of the VTV and DhiTV crew who were telecasting the protest live on TV. However, the officers again refused the order stating that it is unconstitutional and such an order will only be obeyed with a court warrant.
Moreover the timeline revealed that the then President Nasheed contacted three Police Officers who were not part of the operation, and ordered them to remove the Police from Artificial Beach. However, the officers refused to withdraw from the site unless another unit is sent to the area to prevent any violence.
The timeline stated that Nasheed then called the Deputy Commissioner and relieved the commander of the unit from his duties after claiming that he has failed to fulfil the responsibilities entrusted on him.