- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
- Police seize narcotics, cash and alleged stolen items
- Turkish Aid to be used to reconstruct Police buildings damaged by fire
- ADB Director General for South Asia calls on the President
- UNFPA Country Director Meets the President
- Adhaalath calls to arrest all who partipated in the brutal murder of Dr. Afraasheem
- Nasheed will face the consequences during the election for mocking Islam- Gasim
- Azlif will be prosecuted following Humam’s confession- CP
- Yameen is Nasheed’s spokesperson- Thasmeen
- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
Minister Dr. Shakeela initiates waste lifting in North Region
Minister of Environment and Energy Dr Mariyam Shakeela has initiated the lifting of accumulated waste in 5 pilot islands in the North Region. The ceremony to mark the beginning of this effort under the Maldives Environmental Management Project was held on Saturday the 16th of June 2012 at Dhuvaafaru in Raa Atoll. Under this activity, over 100 tons of accumulated was in five pilot islands in the North Region will be lifted to the site at Thilafushi.
The other islands involved in the pilot are N. Manadhoo, Lh. Hinnavaru and Naifaru, and B. Eydhafushi. Under this pilot effort in the five islands, it is planned to remove the accumulated waste every 3 months, partly with MEMP funds, and to establish a more robust waste management system for these islands, with the inclusion of a fee collection system to help finance the system.
In addition to the initiation of the waste lifting, the Minister also launched the Island Waste Management Plan that was developed by MEMP and the Dhuvaafaru Island Council. Similar plans have already been developed for the other 4 pilot islands.