- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
- Govt Oversight Committee to decide on cabinet approval issue on 23 Dec
- President Yameen Ratifies Anti-Human Trafficking Bill
- Minister at the President’s Office Scheduled to Attend OIC Council of Foreign Ministers Session
- Baros Maldives celebrates its 40th anniversary
- It is a worry if authorities don’t take action against law breakers- Shameem
- Gasim proved his love for the nation in the Presidential election- Ameen
- Many challenges even after catching illegal expats- Immigration
Minister Dr. Shakeela initiates waste lifting in North Region
Minister of Environment and Energy Dr Mariyam Shakeela has initiated the lifting of accumulated waste in 5 pilot islands in the North Region. The ceremony to mark the beginning of this effort under the Maldives Environmental Management Project was held on Saturday the 16th of June 2012 at Dhuvaafaru in Raa Atoll. Under this activity, over 100 tons of accumulated was in five pilot islands in the North Region will be lifted to the site at Thilafushi.
The other islands involved in the pilot are N. Manadhoo, Lh. Hinnavaru and Naifaru, and B. Eydhafushi. Under this pilot effort in the five islands, it is planned to remove the accumulated waste every 3 months, partly with MEMP funds, and to establish a more robust waste management system for these islands, with the inclusion of a fee collection system to help finance the system.
In addition to the initiation of the waste lifting, the Minister also launched the Island Waste Management Plan that was developed by MEMP and the Dhuvaafaru Island Council. Similar plans have already been developed for the other 4 pilot islands.