- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
- Majlis Passes the Bill criminalizing Human Trafficking
- Maldives signs a “Handover Note” with Puntland State of Somalia to send back 40 Somalis to their Homeland
- Govt opens bid for Male’- Hulhumale’ bridge project
Maldives Government Launches Countdown to Rio+20
In the run up to Rio+20, the Maldives Government has unveiled a series of events to highlight the major summit on sustainable development.
The Government has announced a number of events which focus on the seven themes of Rio; jobs, energy, cities, food, water, oceans and disasters.
The countdown to Rio begins on 1 June 2012, with the launch of a new Facebook page, Future of Maldives – Sustainable Development, dedicated to sustainable development in the Maldives. This will provide information on what is currently being done in the Maldives and plans for the future.
Other events taking place will include a no vehicle day in Male’, a renewable energy exhibition for school children, and the launch of a Climate Change Trust Fund.
The Rio+20 Conference is from 20 to 22 June 2012, and unites world leaders, government officials, and representatives of the private sector, NGOs and other groups, to secure renewed political commitment for sustainable development and address new and emerging challenges. The Conference will focus on two main themes: How to build a green economy to achieve sustainable development and lift people out of poverty, including support for developing countries that will allow them to find a green path for development; and how to improve international coordination for sustainable development.