- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
- Govt Oversight Committee to decide on cabinet approval issue on 23 Dec
Gayoom and Nasheed cannot return back to power- Alhan
Recently deposed elected Vice President of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP), Alhan Fahmy has said that former Presidents, Maumoon Abdul Gayoom and Mohamed Nasheed cannot return back to power.
Speaking at the press conference held at Nalahiya Hotel, Feydhoo MP Alhan Fahmy said that the people do not want a system that is based on revolving around a spiritual leader. He added that the people want a responsible leader not a spiritual leader.
Alhan said that the people have witnessed enough to reject Gayoom and Nasheed’s ‘spiritual leader’ politics.
When asked whether he considered every political party in the country revolves around a spiritual leader, Alhan said that this system of the members revolving around a spiritual leader is present only within two parties. He added that he will never join these two parties.
Alhan also refuted the claims that only two ideologies exists in Maldivian politics. He said that this is a false claim.
“There exists not only two ideologies. Yes there are two big personalities in Maldives. But not only two ideologies. But two personalities. First is the former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom who ruled the country for thirty years and the second is Nasheed who ruled Maldives for three years and later resigned. If this are two ideologies then they are two ideologies. If the methodology of Gayoom is to be regarded as an ideology why was he not still our President? What happened to Canaryge Nasheed when he started acting outside the constitution? So if these are the only two ideologies that exist in this country why are they not in power today? So it should be known that there are more than these ideologies,” he said.