- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
Dr. Didi, Alhan and Shah quits MDP
Recently removed President and Vice President of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) Dr Ibrahim Didi and Alhan Fahmy have resigned from the party.
In the joint press conference held at Nalayahiya Hotel yesterday, in addition to Dr. Didi and Alhan, the Secretary General of MDP also announced his resignation from the party.
Dr. Didi, Alhan and Shah stated that they decided to quit MDP because it was nearly impossible to be politically active due to the influence of some people who have hijacked the party.
Despite their announcement of their resignation from the MDP, the three did not reveal the party they will be joining. However, Dr. Didi, Alhan and Shah said that they will join a party that does not have a spiritual leader.
Although Dr. Didi and Alhan refused to disclose the party they will be joining, Jumhooree Party has revealed that discussions are being held currently with them on joining the party.
Meanwhile, the recently deposed President and Vice President of MDP have been at loggerheads with former President Nasheed and both individuals had voiced reservations against MDPs militant actions since Nasheed’s resignation.
Both had advocated participation in all-party talks and finding a peaceful resolution to MDP’s woes.
According to analysts, Alhan Fahmy’s “crime against MDP” that triggered Nasheed to engineer a no-confidence vote against him was a motion to Peoples’ Majlis to investigate the very same coup allegation that MDP itself is investigating. However, the rest of MDP MPs except a few, have opposed Alhan Fahmy’s motion and obstructed the parliamentary subcommitee from undertaking the investigation.