- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
Thalassaemia Control Bill ratified
President Dr Mohamed Waheed has today ratified the Thalassaemia Control Bill, which was passed by the People’s Majlis on 25 April. Following ratification, the bill has been published in the Government Gazette.
The Thalassaemia Control Act defines Thalassaemia as an inherited condition caused by faulty synthesis of haemoglobin.
The Act provides for the control of the rate of increase in Thalassaemia in the Maldives, and treatment for Thalassaemia patients, by the government.
Some of the objectives which the Act seeks to achieve include: – control of the rate of increase in Thalassaemia; establish a sustainable treatment system for Thalassaemia patients
- create public awareness about the condition.
A Thalassaemia and other Haemoglobinopathies Centre has been formed under the Act.