- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
- Maldives doesn’t want to change Commonwealth Summit venue
- Suspects and victims of recent gang violence have criminal records- Police
- Adopting new perspective is the way forward for the education system: President
- DRP changed policies to close the door on Gayoom and Nasheed- Thasmeen
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
MDP activists obstructs Sheikh Ilyas from giving religious lecture
Activists of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has obstructed the charismatic preacher Sheikh Ilyas from giving a religious sermon at Furgan Mosque on Friday night.
Police media official informed Miadhu Daily that Male’ City Council requested the police to stop the religious lecture held at Furgan Mosque.
Police officials said that the City Council made the request at 07:00 pm and that the a person by the name Shakir called the Police on behalf of the council.
Five people were arrested from the unrest caused at the mosque by MDP activists and three of them were later released from custody. The Police informed that they are now investigating the case and two are held in custody for the investigation.
According to onlookers the activists used profane language and threw stones at the mosque. There were a confrontation between the activists and the people who were present at the mosque to listen to Sheikh Ilyas’s lecture.