- Unlimited Aasandha services to be announced within hundred days- Ameen
- Dr. Mausoom says he joined Villa group to serve Gasim
- We will always be watchful of the Airport- National Movement
- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
MDP activists obstructs Sheikh Ilyas from giving religious lecture
Activists of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has obstructed the charismatic preacher Sheikh Ilyas from giving a religious sermon at Furgan Mosque on Friday night.
Police media official informed Miadhu Daily that Male’ City Council requested the police to stop the religious lecture held at Furgan Mosque.
Police officials said that the City Council made the request at 07:00 pm and that the a person by the name Shakir called the Police on behalf of the council.
Five people were arrested from the unrest caused at the mosque by MDP activists and three of them were later released from custody. The Police informed that they are now investigating the case and two are held in custody for the investigation.
According to onlookers the activists used profane language and threw stones at the mosque. There were a confrontation between the activists and the people who were present at the mosque to listen to Sheikh Ilyas’s lecture.