- Maldivian nation is calling for Gasim Ibrahim- AK
- President telephones Mohamed Falah who was rescued at sea
- Bangladeshi Planning Commission officials meet with Minister Shakeela
- President Sends a Message of Sympathy to the US President
- “Strengthening Low Carbon Energy Island Strategies” project discussion held
- Vote in the upcoming election is a vote that is related to slavery and freedom- Abdullah
- Maldivian adrift at sea rescued
- Turkish delegate addresses members of the Police in special forum
- Prime suspect in Afraasheem’s murder arrested
- People of Milandhoo protests against Nasheed at his arrival
- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
MDP activists obstruct Sheikh Ilyas from giving a lecture held at Vaikaradhu
Activists of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) have obstructed Sheikh Ilyas Hussein from giving a religious lecture at the Friday Mosque of Haa Dh. Vaikaradhoo island.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, President of the Adhaalath Party, Sheikh Imran Abdullah said that Sheikh Ilyas was also harassed by the activists during his arrival to the island at 1:15 in the afternoon. He said that he was escorted to the island by the Police Officers at Kulhudhufushi Police Center.
An informant from Vaikaradhoo said that MDP activists played songs and used a megaphone to obstruct Sheikh Ilyas from giving the lecture at the mosque.
It was reported that the activists repeated this even during the Sheikh’s lecture at the Haa Dh. Atoll School. And during the lecture, the Police locked the gates of the school to prevent any activist from entering the school premises and causing unrest. The informant said that the activists later cut off the electricity from the island.
He also said that there was a confrontation between the supporters of MDP and some locals. And during the confrontation an elderly person was hit with a glass bottle thrown at him by an activist of the opposition MDP.
It was also informed that the island councilors representing the MDP were leading the activist.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Vaikaradhoo Council President Ahmed Waheed said that the council did not give permission for Sheikh Ilyas to hold lectures in the island because there was fear that it will be a cause to unrest in the island. He said that Sheikh Ilyas is more of a politician than a religious scholar and that the sheikh mainly focuses on slandering former Presidents.