- Message by Minister of Foreign Affairs on the occasion of the International Human Rights
- Quick steps will be taken to provide quality health care- Minister
- Gasim urges to allocate budget to train professional journalists
- Halal certificate issuing to be gazetted next week
- India should be given a helping hand- Gayoom
- India to reassure Maldives of defence cooperation
- Mandela was the greatest statesman the world has seen – President Yameen
- JSC shuffles judges regardless of CJ’s statement
- Nasheed used democracy as tool during his rule- Riyaz
- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
MDP activists obstruct Sheikh Ilyas from giving a lecture held at Vaikaradhu
Activists of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) have obstructed Sheikh Ilyas Hussein from giving a religious lecture at the Friday Mosque of Haa Dh. Vaikaradhoo island.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, President of the Adhaalath Party, Sheikh Imran Abdullah said that Sheikh Ilyas was also harassed by the activists during his arrival to the island at 1:15 in the afternoon. He said that he was escorted to the island by the Police Officers at Kulhudhufushi Police Center.
An informant from Vaikaradhoo said that MDP activists played songs and used a megaphone to obstruct Sheikh Ilyas from giving the lecture at the mosque.
It was reported that the activists repeated this even during the Sheikh’s lecture at the Haa Dh. Atoll School. And during the lecture, the Police locked the gates of the school to prevent any activist from entering the school premises and causing unrest. The informant said that the activists later cut off the electricity from the island.
He also said that there was a confrontation between the supporters of MDP and some locals. And during the confrontation an elderly person was hit with a glass bottle thrown at him by an activist of the opposition MDP.
It was also informed that the island councilors representing the MDP were leading the activist.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Vaikaradhoo Council President Ahmed Waheed said that the council did not give permission for Sheikh Ilyas to hold lectures in the island because there was fear that it will be a cause to unrest in the island. He said that Sheikh Ilyas is more of a politician than a religious scholar and that the sheikh mainly focuses on slandering former Presidents.