- Police reveals details regarding recent gang assualts
- Retired Sergeant processed in Addu City was given no differential treatment
- A case of sexual abuse of a minor sent to PG’s Office
- Drug dealer operating in Male’ given life sentence and fined MVR 100,000
- EU urges political parties to act responsibly
- PPM is the best ark to travel the seas of politics- Dr. Jameel
- Adam Mohamed will not be given opportunity to run JSC according to his whims- Ali Waheed
- Threat of terrorism exists in the Maldives- Shiyam
- It is Nasheed who has no shell to seek refuge in- Matheen
- Hearing of case submitted to annul PPM primary election scheduled for today
- Maldivian Airlines to begin flights to China
- MDP calls to immediately cease politically motivated judicial actions against MDP
- Special task force created to combat gang activity
Acts of terrorism perpetrated under the guise of politics will not be tolerated: Abbas
Press Secretary of the government Abbas Adhil Riza has said that the government will not tolerate acts of terrorism and violence to be perpetrated under the guise of political activities.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Abbas Adhil Riza said that terrorism and violence has now become a common trait of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP). He said that the government have shown some leniency regarding the acts of terrorism perpetrated by the MDP. He said that now the government will take actions against those who perpetrate some crimes.
Abbas said that harassing and attacking the Police and the Army are defined as acts of terrorism and the government will not regarding such attacks as mere political activism.
“No country will tolerate such crimes. No Police or the armed forces are to be attacked and harassed. The Police should be obeyed. If there is any problem then such issue should be raised to the respected authorities,” he said.
“These crimes and violence of the MDP will be investigated and those guilty will be persecuted the same way the acts of terrorism perpetrated by the MDP on 8 February were investigated. The government will not compromise,” he said.
Abbas expressed hopes that the court proceedings on the cases related to the terrorist acts of 8 February will be commenced soon.
Abbas urged the MDP to stop all acts of violence and terrorism. He said that all are equal in the constitution and no person guilty of such crimes will exempted from being persecuted regardless of his political party.