- Maldivian nation is calling for Gasim Ibrahim- AK
- President telephones Mohamed Falah who was rescued at sea
- Bangladeshi Planning Commission officials meet with Minister Shakeela
- President Sends a Message of Sympathy to the US President
- “Strengthening Low Carbon Energy Island Strategies” project discussion held
- Vote in the upcoming election is a vote that is related to slavery and freedom- Abdullah
- Maldivian adrift at sea rescued
- Turkish delegate addresses members of the Police in special forum
- Prime suspect in Afraasheem’s murder arrested
- People of Milandhoo protests against Nasheed at his arrival
- Screening processes for Special Constabulary begins
- Commissioner of Police meets Indian High Commissioner
- High profile repeat offender arrested
Gasim says he decided to run for presidency in 2013 to protect Islam
Jumhooree Party leader and Maamigili constituency MP Gasim Ibrahim has said that he decided to run for presidency in the 2013 presidential elections because he has no hope that the religion of Islam and the sovereignty of Maldives will be protected if another person is elected as the President.
Gasim said this addressing a large number of people who joined his party. Gasim said that he supported the former President Mohamed Nasheed on the second round of the 2008 elections because he hoped that Nasheed would be honest to the nation and the religion of Islam and would run the country in accordance to the constitution. However, Nasheed was the total opposite and governed in opposition to the constitution and his presidential vows. He added that he was obliged to make a public apology to the people because of Nasheed’s failure.
“With this experience I cannot trust and have high hopes on another person. I only want happiness for our people. I do not want anything extra for myself,” he said.
Gasim said that he wants to establish a system of governance that benefits all of the people equally. He also said that many have been calling him to fulfill this need for the benefit of the people.
“That is what I want. I have always been working tirelessly for the people. Since my acceptance of the Vice Presidency of Maldivian Traders Association, which was established before MNCC, I have been working for this cause, it was since 1986,” he said.
He said that he has no financial motive in running for the Presidency. He said that it will not bring any extra financial benefit for himself and his family. He added that Allah has given him enough wealth.