- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
Dr. Waheed is not directly involved in the Coup: Nasheed
Former President Mohamed Nasheed has said that President Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik was not directly involved in the coup, which he alleges was the reason for the transfer of power on February 7.
Nasheed made this remark while speaking at a rally of the opposition Maldivian Democratic Party, MDP, held at G. Dh. Thinadhoo Friday night.
The Former President Nasheed accused former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom of being the mastermind behind the alleged coup.
“It was not Dr. Waheed who was behind the coup nor was it any other person other than Gayoom. He orchestrated the coup with the hopes of returning back to power. To snatch our the authority,” he said.
However, Nasheed said that despite their being no direct role of the President Dr. Waheed in the coup, his acceptance of the ideologies and politics of the Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) and Dhivehi Rayyitunge Party (DRP) is a coup in itself.
Nasheed argued that Gayoom masterminded the coup to continue his thirty years of dictatorship and tyranny.
In view of Nasheed’s accusation that the armed forces were involved in the coup, he said that it was only the generals who were behind the coup and the lower rank officers were free from it.
“It was the Generals who participated in the coup. And these generals were linked to the businessmen. And they were headed by the dictator former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom,” he said.
Nasheed said that if an independent election this matter will be all cleared. He said that the proofs of the money routes are also going to be exposed.
He reiterated his call to early elections claiming that the government has taken the priniciples of a governance rejected by the people but accepted the PPM and DRP.
Nasheed assured the members of his party that he will win if an elections is to be held.