- STO profit was raised from MVR 10 million to 45 million by the youth- Adam Azim
- School Education level is improving- Dr. Nazeer
- Special Envoy of the President calls on SIDS to establish meaningful and enduring partnerships
- President ratifies Special Economic Zone Bill
- President’s Special Envoy Maumoon calls on SIDS to establish meaningful and enduring partnerships
- FM Dunya sends Independence Day greetings to the Malaysian FM
- Special Envoy of the President Maumoon arrives in Samoa to attend SIDS
- Stability of the islands is important for development and progress- President
- Ali Waheed appeals to remain steadfast in learning the Quran
- Biggest challenge is in finding evidence- CP
- We are proud that Villa College now has their own tailored courses- Gasim
- Those in political positions should be able to digest criticism- Adheeb
- President Yameen inaugurates Dhan’gethi Harbour Project
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.