- Prisoners will escape regardless of high security- Home Minister
- Maldives to get more specialists from India
- Maldivian candidate wins second term on anti-torture body
- Police knew about the prison escape only after 24hrs of their escape- Police
- JP to increase activities in the islands
- SEZ opportunities will be given to important matters unavailable in Maldives- Economic Minister
- Survey team for Bridge project will arrive on Friday- Economic Minister
- Hopes high for US assistance for Maldivian trade- Mohamed Saeed
- Second escape convict arrested
- Only MVR 1million passed for Omadhoo Harbour project while it needs MVR 37 million
- We will find Rilwan and hand him over to his family- Home Minister
- MVR 75000 reward for information on Shahum and Luthfee
- Govt should take the responsibility of issue of two escaped convicts- Nihan
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.