- Special Session of the Human Rights Council to be held on the human rights situation in Palestine
- Ambassador of Thailand to Maldives calls on Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Maldivian Islamic University will be among number one Islamic universities in the region- Dr. Faiz
- Can’t support arrest without court warrant- Gasim
- JP to run for JSC clemency board
- Gaza fund receives MVR 814276.22 and US$ 2527
- Maldives govt to help Palestine
- Muhuthaz Muhusin approved for the post of Prosecutor General
- We have the capability to supply medical equipment to all medical centers in Maldives- STO
- A Pharmacy will be opened in Hulhumale’ within two weeks
- President sends message of sympathy to the King of Malaysia
- World Bank Grant For Strengthening Systems In Maldives
- STO’s June net profit reaches 53 million
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.