- Maldive Gas introduces 2kg gas cylinder
- A road map made to resolve the concerns of the teachers
- Commissioner of Police – Ensuring peace and safety for the public is the Maldives Police Service’s most important task
- President Yameen concludes official visits to Sri Lanka and Singapore
- Former President Waheed departs to US, to attend the 69th UN General Assembly
- Salaries of others in addition to teachers should be increased- President
- STO Electronics Showroom to be opened in Umar Shopping Arcade
- Supreme Court to take Suo Moto action against HRCM members
- STO to hold activities to strengthen national unity
- Maldives participates at ADEX 2014, in Shanghai
- Anantara Kihavah Villas wins 3-star recognition for Wine Excellence at SEA
- We will be accountable for police oversight authorities regarding investigations – CP
- JP calls teachers not to protest without completing all the phases
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.