- Commonwealth eager to continue assisting Maldives in its economic development
- Miadhu Daily appeals govt not to ask the media to stop the actions of govt
- Trans fats in vegetable oil increase cholesterol-MFDA
- Securing the safety of maritime area is very important for the three countries- India
- FAIM to mark “India-Maldives Friendship Day”
- Biggest investment to establish sewage and water system ongoing
- Stalling budgeted projects is a big concern- Abdulla Riyaz
- Present Auditor General is a very capable person- Thoriq
- No single country can guarantee their security alone- Defence Minister
- No room for anything which challenges Islam- Islamic Minister
- Ridwan’s case rejected by committee
- Joint ‘DOSTI’ Exercise by Indian Coastguard with Maldives and Sri Lanka
- STO shops will be open for business even if there is no electricity- STO
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.