- There are many laws which contradict the constitution- AG
- An airport to be developed in Magoodhoo
- Digital evidence laboratory established as part of effort to widen Police service
- Underwater Festival returns to LUX* Maldives
- Mega Maldives Airlines to start flights to Saudi Arabia
- Gasim to establish a laboratory in Dharanbudhu School
- Umar Naseer pledges to open a Police Station in Vaikaradhoo if Igbal is elected
- No Maldivian studied in University of Bicocca- Ameen
- Supreme Court issues travel ban on EC members
- Minister of Foreign Affairs meets with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia
- Traffic operation held in Eydhafushi as part of Police effort to create a safer environment for public
- Minister of Foreign Affairs calls on Secretary General of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
- Agreement signed to establish sewerage facilities in Thaa atoll Madifushi and Buruni islands
Govt is becoming more and more despotic: Thasmeen
President Mohamed Nasheed who claims to be the vanguard of democracy is becoming more and more despotic, says leader of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP) Ahmed Thasmeen Ali.
Thasmeen made this remark in his address at the meeting of the opposition held last evening at Artificial Beach area to celebrate National Day. He said that President Nasheed came to power claiming to uphold democracy and good governance but after coming to power his government turned out to be a dictatorship.
Thasmeen said that the people again have to strive hard for their rights. He said that the government is hypocritical and always contradicts their words and actions.
DRP Leader noted that the government has been continuously intimidating and harassing independent media. He added that the government shows no respect to the freedom of speech enshrined in the constitution.
Thasmeen said that the government has contradicted their own manifesto and has hijacked the state media by making it into a government propaganda machine.
He said that the government does anything to achieve their own agendas. He said that the government does not even hesitate to oppose the constitution to achieve their goals. He said that this is evident in the recent unlawful arbitrary arrest of Chief Judge of Criminal Court Abdullah Mohamed without a warrant.