- STO to hold activities to strengthen national unity
- Maldives participates at ADEX 2014, in Shanghai
- Anantara Kihavah Villas wins 3-star recognition for Wine Excellence at SEA
- We will be accountable for police oversight authorities regarding investigations – CP
- JP calls teachers not to protest without completing all the phases
- Education Ministry appeals independent institutions to base reports on latest facts
- President Yameen meets with his Sri Lankan Counterpart
- Addu City Council seat won by MDP, Velidhoo council seat won by MDA
- Minister Dunya to participate in the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly
- We will new achievements in Carrom for Maldives- Mubeen
- Kaadehdhoo Airport again handed over to Villa
- Teachers should not hold the protest without meeting the President- Nihan
- SAARC meet proposes visa exemption for 50 eminent people
Hiriya School Principal and 4 students drown in Hura field trip
The capital city, Male’ is reeling after four students and the principal of Hiriya School died yesterday morning on a fisheries science field trip to Kaafu Huraa.
Miadhu Daily understands that the Principal Ali Nazim died while trying to rescue some of his students who were pulled by a strong current in a lagoon near Huraa island. He rescued four students while the remaining four students, Mariyam Shaiha, Nashath Saeed, Mariyam Nazaa and Aishath Saniha and him drowned and died.
The remaining school girls involved in the traumatic incident were returned to the school while the girls who were rescued were taken to IGMH within less than two hours after their Principal and classmates drowned in the tragedy.
The Funeral Prayer was held last evening at Masjid as-Sultaan Mohamed Thakurufaanu al-A’dham. A large number of people gathered at the mosque to pray the funeral prayer for the deceased.
Maldives Police Service is now investigating the case.