- SAARC meet proposes visa exemption for 50 eminent people
- Master plan to root out gang problem presented to President and AG
- Land plot allocated to build Waqf building in Addu City
- President Yameen departs on official visits to Sri Lanka and Singapore
- Request for EOI to design sewerage system in Addu city announced
- Police appeals Nasheed not to defame the Police with lies seeking fame
- A launch will be granted for every atoll- Health Minister
- Issues of importance to Maldives will be discussed in SAARC meeting- Home Ministry
- STO donates Phillips products to Kudakudhinge Hiya
- President Yameen to conduct official visits to Sri Lanka and Singapore
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of Nepal visits Maldives
- Latest updates of the ongoing search by Police for the missing journalist
- Nepal to increase availability of university seat placements for Maldivians aspiring to study medicine
Gayoom resigns from DRP
DRP is a politically toothless party- Gayoom
Founder of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP), Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has resigned from the party yesterday.
In his resignation letter, Former President Gayoom said that DRP is now off the track and is now a politically toothless party which does not work for the sake of the people.
Gayoom said that the works of the important organs of the party has come to a stop after Ahmed Thasmeen Ali took over the leadership of DRP. He said that council meetings are not held regularly and that it takes two to three months to hold a council meeting.
Former President Gayoom also said that he was forced to withdraw his support for Thasmeen in the Presidential Elections to be held in 2013 because Thasmeen failed to amend his mistakes.
“Therefore, when the party is in such a state, I do not believe that it is correct for me to remain as the Honorable Leader of DRP. So I am today forced to sadly resign from this designation. And also to resign from the membership of the party,” he said.