- Commonwealth eager to continue assisting Maldives in its economic development
- Miadhu Daily appeals govt not to ask the media to stop the actions of govt
- Trans fats in vegetable oil increase cholesterol-MFDA
- Securing the safety of maritime area is very important for the three countries- India
- FAIM to mark “India-Maldives Friendship Day”
- Biggest investment to establish sewage and water system ongoing
- Stalling budgeted projects is a big concern- Abdulla Riyaz
- Present Auditor General is a very capable person- Thoriq
- No single country can guarantee their security alone- Defence Minister
- No room for anything which challenges Islam- Islamic Minister
- Ridwan’s case rejected by committee
- Joint ‘DOSTI’ Exercise by Indian Coastguard with Maldives and Sri Lanka
- STO shops will be open for business even if there is no electricity- STO
Gayoom resigns from DRP
DRP is a politically toothless party- Gayoom
Founder of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP), Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has resigned from the party yesterday.
In his resignation letter, Former President Gayoom said that DRP is now off the track and is now a politically toothless party which does not work for the sake of the people.
Gayoom said that the works of the important organs of the party has come to a stop after Ahmed Thasmeen Ali took over the leadership of DRP. He said that council meetings are not held regularly and that it takes two to three months to hold a council meeting.
Former President Gayoom also said that he was forced to withdraw his support for Thasmeen in the Presidential Elections to be held in 2013 because Thasmeen failed to amend his mistakes.
“Therefore, when the party is in such a state, I do not believe that it is correct for me to remain as the Honorable Leader of DRP. So I am today forced to sadly resign from this designation. And also to resign from the membership of the party,” he said.