- Prisoners will escape regardless of high security- Home Minister
- Maldives to get more specialists from India
- Maldivian candidate wins second term on anti-torture body
- Police knew about the prison escape only after 24hrs of their escape- Police
- JP to increase activities in the islands
- SEZ opportunities will be given to important matters unavailable in Maldives- Economic Minister
- Survey team for Bridge project will arrive on Friday- Economic Minister
- Hopes high for US assistance for Maldivian trade- Mohamed Saeed
- Second escape convict arrested
- Only MVR 1million passed for Omadhoo Harbour project while it needs MVR 37 million
- We will find Rilwan and hand him over to his family- Home Minister
- MVR 75000 reward for information on Shahum and Luthfee
- Govt should take the responsibility of issue of two escaped convicts- Nihan
Gayoom resigns from DRP
DRP is a politically toothless party- Gayoom
Founder of the main opposition Dhivehi Rayyithunge Party (DRP), Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has resigned from the party yesterday.
In his resignation letter, Former President Gayoom said that DRP is now off the track and is now a politically toothless party which does not work for the sake of the people.
Gayoom said that the works of the important organs of the party has come to a stop after Ahmed Thasmeen Ali took over the leadership of DRP. He said that council meetings are not held regularly and that it takes two to three months to hold a council meeting.
Former President Gayoom also said that he was forced to withdraw his support for Thasmeen in the Presidential Elections to be held in 2013 because Thasmeen failed to amend his mistakes.
“Therefore, when the party is in such a state, I do not believe that it is correct for me to remain as the Honorable Leader of DRP. So I am today forced to sadly resign from this designation. And also to resign from the membership of the party,” he said.