- Preceding Meetings of the 18th SAARC Summit begins
- Budget allocated for youth is not sufficient- MDP
- Minister Thoriq calls to take proactive action to ensure SIDS specific challenges and needs are taken into account
- Unrest in the country during Nasheed’s regime was brought to an end by current govt- Home Ministry
- Govt would show no mercy for those that slaughter Maldivians without mercy- President
- JP always have worked to strengthen independent institutions- Abdulla Riyaz
- Majlis passes not to increase TGST by 12%
- Most youth are seen to be irresponsible- Anara
- National University should be allocated with the required budget- Gasim
- Islamic laws should be implemented to curb crime rate- Ibrahim Hassan
- Every precaution should be taken in defense of ones self- Sheikh Moosa Nizar
- Gasim Ibrahim requests a US$ 3 billion loan assistance
- Abdulla Ahmad calls to increase the wages of civil servants and teachers
Maldives, Costa Rica set diplomatic ties
Maldives and Costa Rica established diplomatic ties on Tuesday.
The diplomatic relation was set after a bilateral meeting at Maldives’ Permanent Mission in the United Nations (UN), where Maldives Foreign Minister Dr. Ahmed Shaheed met with his Costa Ricas’ Foreign Minister Rene Castro.
Shaheed and Castro met in New York to discuss issues of mutual interest, such as the cooperation on issues related to the climate change, the frame on the COP-16 Summit to be hosted in Mexico at the end of this year.
Maldives and Costa Rica share the concerns over global warming and the increase of the oceans’ water level, mainly in Maldives. Dr. Shaheed is in New York accompanying Maldices Vice President Dr Mohamed Waheed, who will give a speech in the UN General Assembly Thursday.