- Unlimited Aasandha services to be announced within hundred days- Ameen
- Dr. Mausoom says he joined Villa group to serve Gasim
- We will always be watchful of the Airport- National Movement
- Airport will not be leased to any foreign party
- Chinese investors shows interest to invest in Maldives
- Goal is to make Islamic Ministry an establishment which sends a progressive message- Dr. Shaheem
- Maldives cherishes Russian advocacy on respect for sovereignty and self-determination – President
- We are getting green signals to be granted financial aid- Adheeb
- Actions speaks louder than words- CP Waheed
- Majlis passes to make Quran as a compulsory subject in the school curriculum
- Maldives awarded world’s leading island destination at World Travel Awards 2013
- VP appeals for Police cooperation in providing social security to people
- President makes three new appointments
Islamic Affairs Minister dumbfounded by Maumoon’s words
Former President Maumoon does not seem to have anything on the horizon, but counterattacks against his comments on the media during the last week. Latest rebuff comes from Dr. Abdul Majeed Abdul Baari, Minister of Islamic Affairs, who has said that he is dumbfounded by former President Maumoon’s comments that the Islamic Affairs Minister and his senior aides had criticized President Nasheed for his failure to protect the Islamic faith of the country.
Islamic Affairs Minister also said that the religious scholars under President Nasheed’s administration yields more power and authority than they had even dreamt of in Maumoon’s reign.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Minister implied that it is not Maumoon’s spirit of upholding Islamic faith in the country which had spared President Maumoon from his senior religious officials criticizing him, but his tight control over his scholars. Dr. Majeed also said that even when there were better scholars than Maumoon in his government, they had been not allowed to speak their minds. Dr. Majeed, who also had first-hand experience for working under previous administration, also said that Maumoon had asked to dissolve the radio/TV show itself, if any scholar had said anything which President Maumoon disapproved in those shows.
Unlike the previous administration, Dr. Majeed said that Ministers are given freedom to speak and act on their conscience and that the President Nasheed accepts the advice being offered by his ministers.
“President Nasheed does not dictate his Ministers. Now we are free to act as how we see fit. He does not ask us to do anything on a certain way, and if we find anything going wrong that’s being corrected when we ask him to do so. I think that’s quite different from how it used to be in Maumoon’s reign. Back then Maumoon used knows everything on Islam that he wouldn’t even listen to other scholars who might disagree with him. If a scholar becomes too critical he will be sidelined” he said.
Speaking further he said “Sheikh Mohamed Rasheed Ibrahim once said that the women have to cover their entire body except palm and face in a TV programme. Maumoon ordered to stop that programme because apparently Maumoon interpreted Sheikh’s comments as an insult to Maumoon’s family. The next day Sheikh Rasheed asked me if he had said anything wrong and I said he hasn’t. That’s how it used to be back then. But now President Nasheed had given a mandate and flexibility to implement it. And above all, unlike Maumoon, President Nasheed does not use Islam as a political weapon” Dr. Majeed said.
Dr. Majeed is a graduate of Medina University and a PHD holder in Quranic Sciences. He had also served as a Director at the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs and as the Rector of the Faculty of Quran, under President Maumoon’s government.