- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
- Umar says he didn’t goto appeal committee because it’s under Yameen’s authority
- Nasheed won’t even succeed for the second round of elections- Gasim
- Recent assualts are gang related- CP
- Nasheed Launches MDP Policy on Agriculture
- Action & Adventure at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort, Maldives
- Police assist with flood relief in Ga.Villingilli
- 2 men arrested with suspicious narcotics
Islamic Affairs Minister dumbfounded by Maumoon’s words
Former President Maumoon does not seem to have anything on the horizon, but counterattacks against his comments on the media during the last week. Latest rebuff comes from Dr. Abdul Majeed Abdul Baari, Minister of Islamic Affairs, who has said that he is dumbfounded by former President Maumoon’s comments that the Islamic Affairs Minister and his senior aides had criticized President Nasheed for his failure to protect the Islamic faith of the country.
Islamic Affairs Minister also said that the religious scholars under President Nasheed’s administration yields more power and authority than they had even dreamt of in Maumoon’s reign.
Speaking to Miadhu Daily, Minister implied that it is not Maumoon’s spirit of upholding Islamic faith in the country which had spared President Maumoon from his senior religious officials criticizing him, but his tight control over his scholars. Dr. Majeed also said that even when there were better scholars than Maumoon in his government, they had been not allowed to speak their minds. Dr. Majeed, who also had first-hand experience for working under previous administration, also said that Maumoon had asked to dissolve the radio/TV show itself, if any scholar had said anything which President Maumoon disapproved in those shows.
Unlike the previous administration, Dr. Majeed said that Ministers are given freedom to speak and act on their conscience and that the President Nasheed accepts the advice being offered by his ministers.
“President Nasheed does not dictate his Ministers. Now we are free to act as how we see fit. He does not ask us to do anything on a certain way, and if we find anything going wrong that’s being corrected when we ask him to do so. I think that’s quite different from how it used to be in Maumoon’s reign. Back then Maumoon used knows everything on Islam that he wouldn’t even listen to other scholars who might disagree with him. If a scholar becomes too critical he will be sidelined” he said.
Speaking further he said “Sheikh Mohamed Rasheed Ibrahim once said that the women have to cover their entire body except palm and face in a TV programme. Maumoon ordered to stop that programme because apparently Maumoon interpreted Sheikh’s comments as an insult to Maumoon’s family. The next day Sheikh Rasheed asked me if he had said anything wrong and I said he hasn’t. That’s how it used to be back then. But now President Nasheed had given a mandate and flexibility to implement it. And above all, unlike Maumoon, President Nasheed does not use Islam as a political weapon” Dr. Majeed said.
Dr. Majeed is a graduate of Medina University and a PHD holder in Quranic Sciences. He had also served as a Director at the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs and as the Rector of the Faculty of Quran, under President Maumoon’s government.