TOP STORIES :
- New resort brand to open in the Maldives
- FRS rescues a child trapped inside a toilet and two children trapped inside a room
- Return of the Toddy Tapper at Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu
- ILO Country Director pays courtesy call on President Waheed
- Eight arrests made in Kumundhoo alleged of assaulting expatriate teacher
- Maldives opposes changing Commonwealth meeting venue from Sri Lanka
- Umar says he didn’t goto appeal committee because it’s under Yameen’s authority
- Nasheed won’t even succeed for the second round of elections- Gasim
- Recent assualts are gang related- CP
- Nasheed Launches MDP Policy on Agriculture
- Action & Adventure at Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort, Maldives
- Police assist with flood relief in Ga.Villingilli
- 2 men arrested with suspicious narcotics
Maldives beat Sri Lanka 5-1 and will meet India in the Final
Maldives has entered the final of SAAF championship for a second consecutive year after beating Sri Lana 5-1. in the semi final played in Dhakas Bangabandhu Stadium this afternoon.
Ahmed Thorig scored the first goal for Maldives in the 21st minute. While the Maldives was trying to win a second goal missing some opportunities, Sri Lankas Channa equalised in the 62nd minute. But just a minute later Fazeel scored the second goal giving the lead to Maldives. Ashfag scored the 3rd goal in the 76th minute when he fired the ball from near angle over the keeper. The 4th goal was scored in the 85th minute when Fazeel beat the keeper in a penalty. Assad Ali scored te 5th goal in te 87th minute. Sri Lanka’s goal was scored by Ediri Bandage Channa in the 62 minute.
Ashfag and Fazeel are the stars of the match. Sri Lankan coach Smith has also commended Ashfag saying their team could not win because of Ashfag who did all the damage to Lanka team.
While Maldivian Sports Minister Hassan Latheef and large number of Maldivians were watching the match in the Bangabandu stadium wearing red, cheering and waving flags almost the entire country was watching the match live on TVM in the same jovial mood. When the match was over large crowds of jubilant supporters were seen in the streets of Male wearing red and carrying national flags celebrating the remarkable win.
In the second semi final played later this afternoon between host Bangladesh and India, India beat Bangladesh 1-0. Indian captain Sushil scored the winning goal in the 62nd minute. This will set up a repeat of last years SAAF championship for Maldives and India to meet in the Final on Sunday.