- Transparency survey is baseless- MNDF
- Pakistan High Commissioner calls on the Vice President
- Utility services in Raa atoll Dhuvaafaru island handed over to MWSC
- 20 Maldivian Officers training in Protection of Important Building programme by Turkey Police
- Some institutions refrain from giving information- ACC
- Govt to decide on unfinished resorts within 100 days
- Revised budget increased to MVR 17.5 billion
- Majlis perceived as the most corrupt institution
- SAARC celebrated its Twenty-ninth Charter Day
- Govt responsible for rising corruption- Study
- STO will be made a profitable company- MD Adam Azim
- Minister Ameen announces 100 day targets for the Transport and Communication sector
- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
We will overthrow the government within three months – Opposition Alliance
DRP/PA/IDP opposition alliance has said that they intend to overthrow MDP ruled government within three months time. This was disclosed by the alliance at a protest held at artificial beach last night.
In the protest, almost all the opposition political leaders who spoke said that they will over throw MDP government. They also criticized various government policies.
Speaking to the party supporters, Maaz Ahmed Saleem, DRP activist, said, “We can overthrow this government within three months if you people are behind us, as you are right now. Before MDP came to power, they assured various international bodies that they will build 3 temples within 18 months of coming to power. We have received information that one of these temples is going to be built in Male’. The second assurance given by MDP was to make alcohol readily available to people.”
Speakers went on to say that it would be dangerous to establish ties with Israel. They also criticized the decision to reduce the number of civil service employees and the salary of employees as well. Opposition leaders repeatedly called for the resignation of President Nasheed.
In the protest, placards and banners were put up by the supporters of Opposition Alliance expressing their discontentment of President Nasheed’s government. “Reduce political posts”, “We will not give you an opportunity to eat turkey”, “Don’t hike up price of staples” etc, were some of the sentiments expressed in the placards and banners.
The protest had to be discontinued within an hour due to some technical problems with the sound system.