- Auditor General refers to prosecute Jihad regarding MVR 300 million loan issue
- Govt Oversight Committee to decide on cabinet approval issue on 23 Dec
- President Yameen Ratifies Anti-Human Trafficking Bill
- Minister at the President’s Office Scheduled to Attend OIC Council of Foreign Ministers Session
- Baros Maldives celebrates its 40th anniversary
- It is a worry if authorities don’t take action against law breakers- Shameem
- Gasim proved his love for the nation in the Presidential election- Ameen
- Many challenges even after catching illegal expats- Immigration
- All basic items will be sold cheap if all due payments are settled- Adam Azim
- National Flag to be flown at half-mast following death of former President of South Africa
- Vice President praises Nelson Mandela as a model of leadership for equality and rights
- Several issues regarding the school system would be resolved in time for new academic year – Vice President
- “Nelson Mandela was a source of Unrivalled Inspiration for Recent Generations” – President Yameen
Maldives launches Youth TV Channel
Maldives has launched a Youth TV Channel, YTV, last night totally
dedicated to the youth of the country. The Channel was inaugurated by Youth Minister Hassan Latheef at a ceremony held at Dhivehi Raajjeyge Adu. Opening a dedicated Youth TV Channel in Maldives where the new Constitution has empowered the country’s youth above the age of 18 the right of voting, was seen as a major boost to the development and participation of the youth in the life of the nation. Speaking at the ceremony, Minister Latheef who is one of the youngest ministers in President Nasheed’s new Cabinet, said the Government is committed to empowering the youth fully in the affairs of the nation and Youth TV will play a major role in enhancing the role of youth. The Government has also pledged it will do everything possible for the development and empowerment of the youth even in these very difficult times of the economy.
The new channel will be administered by the Maldives National Broadcasting Corporation, MNBC, which is presently managing the state owned TV Maldives and Dhivehi Raajjeyge Adu. Chairman of the MNBC, Madulu Mohamed Waheed also spoke on the importance of the development and participation of the youth in the overall development of the country. He said the YTV will therefore be a valuable instrument for achieving this important goal.
MNBC’s Managing Director Ibrahim Khaleel said he is very happy to see a special TV channel opened for youth of the country. It is a big need of the youth and they were waiting for this for a long time. Therefore YTV will be very purposeful in further empowering the youth and enhancing their vast potential for the greater benefit of the country. Khaleel who was MD of the first private FM radio broadcasting system and later became the head of MNBC said he is happy to see the staff of the Dhivehi Raajjeyge Adu in behind the camera and other areas of the new channel.
There was a representation of the youth who said they are extremely happy for opening the new channel and expressed the hope YTV would serve its purpose well. There was a song televised showing the participation of many segments of the Maldivian society pledging and renewing their support and care for the youth and welfare of the country.
Youth TV was one the many new services pledged by the new Government for the advancement of the youth of the country.