- Special Session of the Human Rights Council to be held on the human rights situation in Palestine
- Ambassador of Thailand to Maldives calls on Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Maldivian Islamic University will be among number one Islamic universities in the region- Dr. Faiz
- Can’t support arrest without court warrant- Gasim
- JP to run for JSC clemency board
- Gaza fund receives MVR 814276.22 and US$ 2527
- Maldives govt to help Palestine
- Muhuthaz Muhusin approved for the post of Prosecutor General
- We have the capability to supply medical equipment to all medical centers in Maldives- STO
- A Pharmacy will be opened in Hulhumale’ within two weeks
- President sends message of sympathy to the King of Malaysia
- World Bank Grant For Strengthening Systems In Maldives
- STO’s June net profit reaches 53 million
Resignation not shameful – Gasim
Former Home Minister and Leader of Jumhoory Party (JP) Gasim Ibrahim, who resigned on Wednesday, speaking on Dhi TV has said that resigning is not a shameful act if duties and responsibilities cannot be discharged in a responsible manner.
Gasim said it is an important democratic tradition to step aside if obstructions are encountered to discharge the responsibilities of the office in a responsible manner. He said staying on without resigning, when what he has promised to the people cannot be fulfilled, would not be correct.
He further said matters cannot be finalized in decentralized manner by forming a ‘dummy’ in violation the constitution. He said the way to proceed with the decentralized administration of atolls is specified in the constitution.
“The constitution specifies how to proceed with decentralization; things cannot be done against the constitution by forming a dummy without the approval of the Majlis, the constitution has given a deadline to elect a new Majlis, it also specifies a deadline to elect atolls and island councils, all the principles are in it, therefore if the decentralization is seen to be in contravention legal counsel should sought, while the constitution binds the (government), what other course could be sought in decentralization?” Gasim ended his comments speaking why he resigned.
According to Gasim who contributed heavily to topple by ballot the 30 year regime of former president Gayoom he has never advised on replacement of atoll chiefs appointed by the former régime. However, he said that he presented a list of names to fill the quota of government portfolios allocated to his Jumhoory Party.