- We will win 25 seats from the 28- Gasim
- Initiative taken in M. Atoll to reduce pending cases
- Gasim vows to remain as coalition partner as long as the govt abides by the law
- Two taken into Police custody during search of H. Lucky Shade
- Thasmeen and Shahid tried to obstruct MDP govt- Mahloof
- Ilham Ahmed will never betray the religion and the nation- Umar
- Work on Dhangethi harbour will be commenced within the next three months- Ilham
- NSA level meeting on trilateral Maritime Security Cooperation between India, Sri Lanka and Maldives
- Coalition candidates will do nothing to harm the people- Gasim
- Serving the people will be guaranteed by electing Progressive coalition candidates- Ameen
- Minister Nazim calls on Indian PM
- Gasim calls the people to give President Yameen the opportunity to serve them
- Prince William and Kate, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Maldives
Resignation not shameful – Gasim
Former Home Minister and Leader of Jumhoory Party (JP) Gasim Ibrahim, who resigned on Wednesday, speaking on Dhi TV has said that resigning is not a shameful act if duties and responsibilities cannot be discharged in a responsible manner.
Gasim said it is an important democratic tradition to step aside if obstructions are encountered to discharge the responsibilities of the office in a responsible manner. He said staying on without resigning, when what he has promised to the people cannot be fulfilled, would not be correct.
He further said matters cannot be finalized in decentralized manner by forming a ‘dummy’ in violation the constitution. He said the way to proceed with the decentralized administration of atolls is specified in the constitution.
“The constitution specifies how to proceed with decentralization; things cannot be done against the constitution by forming a dummy without the approval of the Majlis, the constitution has given a deadline to elect a new Majlis, it also specifies a deadline to elect atolls and island councils, all the principles are in it, therefore if the decentralization is seen to be in contravention legal counsel should sought, while the constitution binds the (government), what other course could be sought in decentralization?” Gasim ended his comments speaking why he resigned.
According to Gasim who contributed heavily to topple by ballot the 30 year regime of former president Gayoom he has never advised on replacement of atoll chiefs appointed by the former régime. However, he said that he presented a list of names to fill the quota of government portfolios allocated to his Jumhoory Party.