- Survey team for Bridge project will arrive on Friday- Economic Minister
- Hopes high for US assistance for Maldivian trade- Mohamed Saeed
- Second escape convict arrested
- Only MVR 1million passed for Omadhoo Harbour project while it needs MVR 37 million
- We will find Rilwan and hand him over to his family- Home Minister
- MVR 75000 reward for information on Shahum and Luthfee
- Govt should take the responsibility of issue of two escaped convicts- Nihan
- Bill to Repeal Act on the Detention and Imprisonment of Persons for More than Seven Days Act Passed
- US Assistant Trade Representative called on the Foreign Minister
- Police stationed in Maafushi prison since last night
- Can’t postpone death penalty due to lack of law- Home Minister
- Contract signed for building coastal protection structures at Faresmaathodaa
- We requested an audit of prison security- Home Minister
Fazeel Najeeb appointed as MMA Chief
President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has appointed Fazeel Najeeb as the Governor General of Maldives Monetary Authority. Fazeel Najeeb was appointed to the post after consulting the People’s Majlis, in accordance with law number 2007/3.
People’s Majlis endorsed Fazeel Najeeb of M. Fashala proposed for the Governor of Maldives Monetary Authority (MMA) at the 4th sitting of the 3rd session held on 14 October 2008. 20 members out of 32 members in attendance voted in favor of accepting Fazeel Najeeb while 11 members voted against and 1 member abstained.
Fazeel Najeeb held the post of Director international cooperation at the trade ministry before proceeding to UK to pursue studies for a Ph D. in intellectual property law. He has earlier accomplished his first degree in economics and subsequently Masters Degree in international business law also in the UK. Najeeb’s name was submitted to the Majlis by president Gayoom on 21 August 2008.
Fazeel who hails from the Southern island atoll of Fuahmulah is seen as a good and efficient administrator. He is the brother of Fuahmulah member of the Majlis Maseeh who also held the post of Deputy Minister in the President’s Office which he resigned in August to remain as a member of the Majlis to comply with the new Constitution.
The post of Governor of MMA was previously held by Abdullah Jihad. Jihad was appointed the new Finance Minister on 15 July following former minister Gasim Ibrahim’s resignation. President Gayoom proposed the name of former State Finance Minister Arif Hilmy for appointment of the MMA chief, but Arif declined the offer soon after. Nominations of MMA Governor and Deputy Governor have to be endorsed by the People’s Majlis before the President can appoint them to the posts. Aishath Zahira was recently appointed as the Deputy Governor of MMA.