- Working Together for the Shared Dream and Common Development of China and Maldives
- China celebrates 65th anniversary
- Minister Dunya Returns after active engagement at the UN General Assembly
- Our hearts were slaughtered by the attacks on Gaza- President Waheed
- Former President Mohamed Waheed Calls on United Nations Secretary General
- Different areas of Male’ have been inspected by the Police more than 2000 times within the last week
- We do not know how the number of radicals should be disclosed- CP
- “Closer to the People’ activity is so far very successful- Sameer
- Perhaps President did not meet us because he thought we have a political motive- MCSA
- China celebrates 65th anniversary of National Day in Maldives
- STO launches Kruger Coffee
- Police wants to get the best results in Rilwan’s case- Police
- China has realised tremendous achievement in nation building and human development- Ambassador
Fazeel Najeeb appointed as MMA Chief
President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has appointed Fazeel Najeeb as the Governor General of Maldives Monetary Authority. Fazeel Najeeb was appointed to the post after consulting the People’s Majlis, in accordance with law number 2007/3.
People’s Majlis endorsed Fazeel Najeeb of M. Fashala proposed for the Governor of Maldives Monetary Authority (MMA) at the 4th sitting of the 3rd session held on 14 October 2008. 20 members out of 32 members in attendance voted in favor of accepting Fazeel Najeeb while 11 members voted against and 1 member abstained.
Fazeel Najeeb held the post of Director international cooperation at the trade ministry before proceeding to UK to pursue studies for a Ph D. in intellectual property law. He has earlier accomplished his first degree in economics and subsequently Masters Degree in international business law also in the UK. Najeeb’s name was submitted to the Majlis by president Gayoom on 21 August 2008.
Fazeel who hails from the Southern island atoll of Fuahmulah is seen as a good and efficient administrator. He is the brother of Fuahmulah member of the Majlis Maseeh who also held the post of Deputy Minister in the President’s Office which he resigned in August to remain as a member of the Majlis to comply with the new Constitution.
The post of Governor of MMA was previously held by Abdullah Jihad. Jihad was appointed the new Finance Minister on 15 July following former minister Gasim Ibrahim’s resignation. President Gayoom proposed the name of former State Finance Minister Arif Hilmy for appointment of the MMA chief, but Arif declined the offer soon after. Nominations of MMA Governor and Deputy Governor have to be endorsed by the People’s Majlis before the President can appoint them to the posts. Aishath Zahira was recently appointed as the Deputy Governor of MMA.